Lithium Batteries

I am looking at lithium batteries, but everything I have read describes avoiding extreme heat. My garage in Florida gets incredibly hot. I assume I am not the only guy in Florida who does not have A/C in the garage. Is this a problem/concern? hate to waste money on them if they would not hold up in that type of heat.

2. Member
    It is the battery temperature that counts. How hot does it get in your garage? This is from a table of spec's from relion:

TEMPERATURE SPECIFICATIONS
    Discharge Temperature -4 to 140 ºF (-20 to 60 ºC)
    Charge Temperature 32 to 113 ºF (0 to 45 ºC)
    Storage Temperature 23 to 95 ºF (-5 to 35 ºC)
    BMS High Temperature Cut-Off 176 ºF (80 ºC)
    Reconnect Temperature 122 ºF (50 ºC)

3. Member
    I would say over 100 degrees, but you may have a point. I doubt it gets over 140. So you think it should be fine?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    It would have to be extreme and for a longer period of time I would leave the hatch doors open on the boat to allow for a little air movement.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Are those temps for storage or while under use?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I have had Relions in my boat for 3 years without any problems. Boat is parked in my garage in Kissimmee Florida

7. Member
    They are for different things. Discharge is while in use, Charging is for charging, Storage is more of a long term range to keep the battery in good condition, High cutoff is when the battery controller will shut the battery down for safety and the reconnect is when it will switch back on after that extreme heat shutoff. Use and charging is all you really need to pay attention to.

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Storage is more of a long term range to keep the battery in good condition, Use and charging is all you really need to pay attention to.
    'all you really need to pay attention to' is based would be based on what?

The spec limit 'Can not be stored higher than 95 degrees' would be well exceeded almost daily by scores of outside and kept in in un-air conditioned space boats for much of the Southern and Western U.S. for weeks every summer. Temps must hit 120 degrees most mid days under my canvas covered stored boat as the 'in the shade air temp' is around 100.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.

9. Member
    Every other spec is above that #. From reading about LiFeP04 batteries. That should read "recommended". The batteries would not be suitable for anything outside. If you keep them in that range you will get maximum aging. 5 to 7000 charge cycles. Real world will be 2 to 3000 cycles. We don't live in the lab so we will exceed many of the Lab parameters. That is why they need a BMS to make sure we don't exceed any of the critical parameters. It gets hot many places that have people with Lithium batteries. Lead acid batteries have very similar specs for most of the same items. I don't see any thing that say's" can't be stored higher than 95 degrees" beside your post.

10. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    For the many rec boaters having already invested their monies in lithiums, lets' hope it just that brand new inexperienced battery start up companies don't yet have the industry experience for writing correct product's performance specifications for actual use in the field.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-28-2019 at 12:47 AM.