HOW HIGH IS TOO HIGH?

I know when using a hydro jack to watch and keep safe h20 psi. However my question is I know even a good solid brand new 3 blade prop will throw a blade if jacked too high, so how high is too high? At what point do you increase risk 1inch below or even with pad or are we talking above pad numbers like bullet and alison guys running and inch or two above pad?

Depends on your boat/mota combo....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

According to your boat/lower unit you cant get your motor high enough to surface the prop (where blades get slung)

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I was always under the impression you raise the prop to pad height until you lose water pressure or gain so many rpms that you lose speed due to slip. Once you find the point that's too high come back down .25" or .5" Max performance on prop to pad height can often be a tedious task like splitting hairs. There comes a point where it gains performance then suddenly loses it all. You have to find the peak of the gain. Even boats with identical hull, motors and props can have different prop to pad heights. There is variables such as weight, weight distribution and driver experience that you can not factor into the equation because it will be different even on identical rigs.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I was always under the impression you raise the prop to pad height until you lose water pressure or gain so many rpms that you lose speed due to slip. Once you find the point that's too high come back down .25" or .5" Max performance on prop to pad height can often be a tedious task like splitting hairs. There comes a point where it gains performance then suddenly loses it all. You have to find the peak of the gain. Even boats with identical hull, motors and props can have different prop to pad heights. There is variables such as weight, weight distribution and driver experience that you can not factor into the equation because it will be different even on identical rigs.
    Ok so if you do this, because this listed above is what I do and say your best numbers are at only 1/2 inch below pad are you safe to not throw a blade??

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GEEBASS2000 View Post
    Ok so if you do this, because this listed above is what I do and say your best numbers are at only 1/2 inch below pad are you safe to not throw a blade??
    I've seen blades come off props run 3.5" below pad so i don't
    think you're ever 100% guaranteed it won't happen.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    Ok got it so prop to pad might not influence odds of throwing a blade.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    Ok got it so prop to pad might not influence odds of throwing a blade.

You cant stress about losing a blade. You cannot predict when it will happen and to which prop. Like i said according to your lower unit you likely cant steer or have any water pressure if you get high enough to surface a prop so at least you have a better chance. Unless youre running a coned lower unit on a performance hull youre like 5-6” lower than surfacing height

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I might be wrong and this is totally my opinion but Mercury props have more of a tendency to throw blades because they are made of a more stiff grade stainless steel compared to most other brand props. On the other hand Evinrude props are more prone to bend due to being made out of softer stainless than most other brand props. I know this does not answer your question but set the prop up for max performance and run it and see what happens.