brake release solenoid

I think my solenoid has gone bad. If I change it out, do I need to bleed the brakes afterwards?

thank you
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

2. Member
    YES

3. Member
    Do everything that you can to make sure it's not a wiring problem. It's hard to change. Do the brakes operate when you don't want to or do they fail to work?

4. Scraps
    Owned a Ranger for 18yrs and never had to replace the solenoid though was convinced on several occasions it was bad. I rarely hear of one truly going bad. Check that your ground wire has a nice and clean connection and that nothing else is loose. Check the plug that everything is clean and no grounds.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Make sure it's getting 12V in reverse and that it has a good ground before you replace it
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

6. Member
    I added a second ground wire to my trailer when I replaced my actuator. Bleeding brakes are not bad. Use a harbor freight pneumatic brake bleeder or the vacuum pump style from local auto parts store. Lower tongue properly secure trailer on jack stands. Start bleeding brakes opposite of where brake lines come in. I bleed my car and boat trailer brakes at least every three years. My trucks I do every two years. Will keep system free from moisture and broken brakes lines and stuck calipers..

So I have 2 tow vehicles one with a four wire flat on the vehicle and one with the round plug. I usually tow with the vehicle with the flat 4 wire that has no break connector, so when backing up I would get out and connect the blue break line from the trailer to my brown line on the vehicle (with the lights on). This would release the break cylinder and allow me to back up. When trying this for the first time this year my breaks would not release. I need to get down with my other vehicle with the round plug to test it out but have not had time. I am hoping it is not the break solenoid because I do not want to change it out. My trailer lights are use the same ground as the solenoid and they are working fine, so I don't think that is what it is. Thanks for all your thoughts.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

8. Member
    You should be able to hear a clicking sound at solenoid if working.