Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CUT MY TRIM TABS OFF Ranger RT178

Gentlemen,

So, I rolled the dice that my boat would run much better without its trim tabs. It sadly wasn't the case, I can get on plane but the boat hops like Flipper, if I don't have the trim all the way down. For the meantime, I have a jackplate, but I haven't seen much improvement with adjustments. I adjusted it all the way down with the theory that it would help temporarily until I can get some tabs welded back on, didn't work well. I did all this testing with a 200lb passenger riding with me. I have a big tournament on Saturday and I need the boat to run desperately. Any suggestions on how I should fix the issue (laying multiple beads then shaping them vs. individual angled pieces of aluminum)? Is there something I should do in the meantime, shift weight to the bow, reduce weight on the bow? Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

SETUP:

2017 Ranger RT178
    24volt system (3 batteries)
    (1) Powerpole Sportsmann II (pump mounted in the rear)
    2017 Ranger RT178, Yamaha F70
    YoutubeBassNvlog
    The Fallen Outdoors, Pro Staffer "Team Virginia"
    "Work Hard, Stay Humble"

I think your only hope other than to put the tabs back on is to run the engine as high as you can with a prop that has cup and lift. Something like the Spitfire X7 cupped 4 blade prop, and running with less than 4 inches prop shaft below hull bottom "MIGHT" present enough aft lift and bow push down to control the porpoise.

3. Member
    Move weight forward may help some. Raising the jack plate and using a X7 spitfire is also a good suggestion. You could also build some wedges with jb weld to create some stern lift to push the bow down.

4. Member
    Buy a whale tail and install untill you get your trim tab reinstalled. Much much cheaper. Good luck

I'll try that and see what happens tomorrow.

6. Member
    Did you bother to check here (or anywhere else ) to see what would have happened if you did that??I also hope you have no problems down the road as I'm sure you voided your warranty. You should call http://www.marksprops.com/ and have him add some cup. Maybe find a good machine shop that has someone that can weld. Good Luck

7. Member
    If you have a big rear transducer on the stern, lower it and angle the rear down. Crud for good reading but may help with the front end slap.

8. Member
    I did a temporary mod once using the tapered plastic door jam shims and glued them to the hull with the non hardening craft glue. You can break them at whatever thickness you want on the back end. I sealed the front end with the glue so they wouldn't pop off. They stayed in place for about 2 months before I removed them.

I read every single thread about people doing it. It seemed like the positive post outweighed any of the "DON'T DO IT" posts. There was a lot of people who did it and said it worked and a lot that said they are there for a reason, don't do it. Only like one guy said I did it and I regret it. I figured it was a tuning issue (not setting his jackplate accordingly).

10. Member

11. Member
    You can buy adjustable trim tabs that would let you tune things. How bad is it now? Unless you have leaks you should be able to take it on a fishing trip.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Thank you for the honest post of how it turned out. Hope you can find an easy fix.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

13. Member
    Back in the nineties, I solved a similar problem with wedges that increased negative trim. My boat was an Alweld 1752 with a tiller 40 Yamaha 2 stroke. They were recommended then, but some say here that warranties can be voided if they are used on todays boat/motors. Looks like they still make them. I looked at a new Alweld 1652 a few days ago and it was equipped with bendable trim tabs so looks like they have jumped on that bandwagon.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...-transom-wedge

14. Member
    Sorry you having a problem. We could have helped you avoid that aggravation. I would also suggest you have wedges installed on the bottom of your hull.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Hey sir, can you explain what the wedges are and possibly provide a link?
    YoutubeBassNvlog
    "Work Hard, Stay Humble"

16. Member
    I installed wedges on the bottom of my vt17 Crestliner. They are a small wedge shaped piece of aluminum that is glued to the bottom of the hull to help reduce porpoise. I have some pics on my phone I can send you if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by BassNvlog View Post
    Hey sir, can you explain what the wedges are and possibly provide a link?

17. Member
    Not sure which wedges you are talking about. The negative trim wedges that I used go between the outboard and transom, They allow the motor to tuck in more, see: https://bobsmachine.com/product/reve...dges-5-degree/ and https://thmarinesupplies.com/product...-transom-wedge

18. Member
    I guess the wedges increase the boat deadrise is that right. Would you get more negative trim and less positive if so that would not matter on a 178/188 since they don't need full trim.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Sorry taking them off caused you such trouble. My Triton porpoises pretty bad if I trim it all the way up. Putting a good prop on it helped a lot but I still have to put as much weight forward as I can. I never fill my gas tank up and keep the weight as far forward and port as possible. I’ve never came close to needing 23 gallons of gas in a day with my 90 Etec so I keep about 10 gallons in the boat.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Gents I fixed the issue, took some JB Quick Steel and molded it to the exact size and shape of my original trim tabs. The boat is back to running perfectly again!
    YoutubeBassNvlog
    "Work Hard, Stay Humble"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast