Thread: Kentucky lake

Kentucky lake

Fishing the Triton tourney coming up at end of may. Has fishing improved any updates?

2. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    I could lie and say yes.

I find it still tough. some will catch a decent bag, others will not catch a fish.

I live on Barkley, it is not even fun to go fishing...but I still go.

Good Luck!

3. Member
    Like he said it's not even fun to go anymore. I live 20 minutes from the ramp and would rather drive and hour and a half and go to PickWick now.

4. Member
    LOL, not fun to go fish? i was there this past weekend in a horrible cold front and caught fish all day. Best one going around 5 pounds. we could have caught a ton of fish if we wasn't pre-fishing.

5. Member
    Only 20 limits out of 160 boats weigh in the Jet a Marina tournament with several very good sticks fishing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leevezy View Post
    LOL, not fun to go fish? i was there this past weekend in a horrible cold front and caught fish all day. Best one going around 5 pounds. we could have caught a ton of fish if we wasn't pre-fishing.
    You must be the exception then. You should have no problem placing/winning your tournament then good luck! Most guys i know that are catching good bags are only catching 5-6 fish.

7. Member
    Its been tough. I am no expert by any means but fish it almost weekly (for some reason). If I catch 5 fish, I feel like I had a really good day.

8. Member
    Well you are the only one. Congrats on being the greatest you should have won your tournament.

9. Member
    Weather and rising waters are helping. I expect this weekend and next week to be pretty good. Now in terms of going out and catching a big bag for a tourney, I can't speak to that. But if you just want to go catch some fish then you shouldn't have much problem.

End of May will be a whole different ballgame. Could be great, could be kind of tough. Historically the numbers are better in June when more fish have had time to move out.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    Well you are the only one. Congrats on being the greatest you should have won your tournament.
    What does being the greatest have to do with anything? I just said it's crazy to think it's not fun to go fish these lakes anymore. I'm from louisville and i treasure the time i have down there. To each his own i guess...

11. Member
    What does being the greatest have to do with anything? I just said it's crazy to think it's not fun to go fish these lakes anymore. I'm from louisville and i treasure the time i have down there. To each his own i guess...
    If you are catching that many fish then yes I'm sure it is fun for you. My experience on KY lake this year is it's much much fun to go fish all day and usually catch 2-3 fish. Now I had a blast every time I fished here 3 years ago and prior, but that is just how much the lake has fallen off in the last 2 years. In my opinion it's not worth going to when there are better options around.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by west_tn View Post
    If you are catching that many fish then yes I'm sure it is fun for you. My experience on KY lake this year is it's much much fun to go fish all day and usually catch 2-3 fish. Now I had a blast every time I fished here 3 years ago and prior, but that is just how much the lake has fallen off in the last 2 years. In my opinion it's not worth going to when there are better options around.

then don’t go....don’t blast another man for having fun and catching fish. It’s no secret the lake isn’t what it has been in the past yet i still go also.

13. Member
    I walked the bank at a Marina for an hour today and caught three with a shakey head. 12-16 inches. Was pleasantly surprised.

14. Member
    I’ve been here all week with my Bother and it’s been terrible on both Kentucky and Barkley! Maybe we’re just terrible but we’ve only caught a number of small largemouth and smallmouth. Actually more smallmouth. Water temps are in the mid 60s but we’ve not seen any bass on the banks. We’re fishing from Blood River up to Duncan Bay and on Barkley from Eddy Creek down to the bridge. We’ve been coming up here for close to 20 years and the fishing has been going down hill for the last 9 years. We’re now thinking of going somewhere else next year. Question, are the carp as far down as Paris or even New Johnsonville?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Question, are the carp as far down as Paris or even New Johnsonville?
    Probably even worse
    Basscat!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    then don’t go....don’t blast another man for having fun and catching fish. It’s no secret the lake isn’t what it has been in the past yet i still go also.
    Not sure how I blasted anyone, but ok...

17. Member
    Yes, the carp are everywhere in this lake. Looked at a waterfront house at New Johnsonville last year, and was standing in the yard looking at the dock, walked down to it in little pocket and it was wall to wall carp...

18. Member
    The lake is a shell of what it used to be. Very sad

19. Member
    This YEAR i've seen way less good old boys fishing the coves, Crappie boats also just haven't seen like years past. i'm always on or around the lake everyday.