2000 Champion 186 DC Questions

Hello to All,

I picked up a 2000 Champ 186 DC for my better half a little over a week ago. She decided that she wanted to be able to go fishing if/when I was gone fishing tournaments. It's a pretty clean boat and appears to be in great shape but I have found a few gremlins I'd like to get taken care of. The issues I've found so far are as follows: aerator only works on manual, auto doesn't ever turn on and the hydro w/timer isn't working at all, the trim switch and nav light switch at the bow of the boat isn't working. I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide a wiring diagram/schematic of the boat? I was also wondering if anyone might have any prop/pitch recommendations for all around performance? The boat has a Merc 175 EFI on it and appears to run well. I've got it scheduled with my mechanic to get a full health check soon just so I know where the motor is at. The current prop on it is a Tempest Plus 25P and seems to run good, not sure on top speed as I haven't gps checked it yet. The prop has PVS holes with what appears to be around 3/8" openings in the plugs. It comes out of the hole good, even with full fuel, 2 people and gear and the reason I'm asking about other setups is prior to trimming all the way out and watching the tach, it would run up to 6k rpms and I noticed on the tag that 5600 is supposed to be max. I've discussed with my mechanic and he said that there could be a few issues to cause that and he'd make sure the tac's reading accurately and figure out where the extra r's are coming from. The prop that came on it is a little rashed so I figured I would go ahead and get a new one and send the existing one off to be repaired. Who would you guys/gals recommend for prop work for a Champion? I greatly appreciate and and all help you can provide.

Thanks,
    Chad

2. Member
    I have the same boat and my livewell timer not kicking in either. I’ll be following this to see what advice you get for that. Mark Croxton can handle any prop work for you. Just google him. There is a form to fill out and put in with the prop when you ship it. With that 175 you should be able to run mid 60’s. Prop to pad measurement should be about 3.5” below the pad. I think the tempest should be the right prop. I run a 23 tempest on mine.

That's the right prop. Check your tac, replace timers and pumps.