Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They all have a place.
    Sometimes the xrap is the ticket, sometimes it's a 110.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

2. Banned
    Its not the cost of the bait, its the action. Sometimes they want the action of a certain expensive lure and sometimes they want the action of a certain cheap lure.

3. Member
    The LC pointer is my absolute favorite hardbait...yeah ingot a handfull of megabass 110s but the tried and true slender pointer is my go to jerkbait

Before that it was the good old husky jerk which still has a place in my lineup

Buy what ya like and use it with confidence
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Just remember Fritz was smoking the competition with a lure built in Mr. Flynn's 8th grade shop class and painted in Ms. Palmer's 3rd grade art class........ Its the fool not the tool.....knowledge of where they feed!..... Far too many searching for thought process only humans can achieve....... the fish are not looking at the bait as a piece of art work..... they Hungry! You put in front of the fish (horizontal, vertical- Zone)..... and eats it, he is not looking at it like a Kim Kardashian looking for shoes. Its not going to change by throwing more money at it...... Very interesting study in human behavior.

Last edited by basscat21; 04-24-2019 at 09:56 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locknload59 View Post
    I use the Megabass jerkbaits but they are very pricey. I like the way they suspend and I think I get a few more bites with them. KVD seems to catch them just fine on a Strike King jerkbait. As for crankbaits, I have a couple of the high dollar ones and I get as many bites on my Strike Kings.

There really is not any solid way to know. If a bait gives you confidence that is a huge deal but a high dollar bait is not going to make someone into a fish catching machine.
    I would argue that the more expensive bait gives me LESS confidence. With a cheaper bait, I'll throw it into the nastiest cover available. I'm not doing that with a high dollar job where there's a risk I might just be chucking money into the Bass wishing well.
    2008 Triton TR-196 - Mercury Optimax 200 - 25p Tempest prop

Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Was told by many a great fisherman, it is the angler not the bait. If you believe that if you take bait X, throw it in a certain way/place, bait X will work and you have most of the battle won in catching fish. Confidence in what you are throwing is bigger that what you are throwing. There was one thing that I was told that has stuck in my mind. Several anglers fish a stump, each using a different kind of presentation. Which one of them catches the fish? They all do, if they believe a fish is there and fish with the confidence, that what they are using will catch it.
    I have been very fortunate to be able to spend some quality time in the boat with a few touring pros. One in particular made a statement similar to the above statement. We were catching shallow fish and he said, "Do you see that bush on the point? We know it should have a fish on it since we've caught 20 on the same stuff." He said, "If Kevin were coming by it, he'd catch that fish on a moving bait, (spinnerbait, crankbait, etc.), if Zell was in here, he'd catch it on top water." Then he said, "I'll go over there and pitch this jig in there and catch that same fish. It's all about you and your confidence. We can all catch them, we just have different ways of doing it. Fish what you feel is your best option for catching "that fish" regardless of what everyone else is doing." Sounds crazy, but that's some of the best advice I have received from the many hours on the water. Fish your strengths and don't worry about what everybody else is doing.

7. Member
    IMHO it's much more about how you present the bait, than the actual bait itself. I have my favorites, but I think that comes down to confidence more so than the actual bait.
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

8. Member
    I fish what I enjoy fishing. For me now I enjoy megabass and other Japanese lures. I shop for them on eBay and buy used most of the time. Started out 30 years ago throwing nothing but storm and rapalas. Caught a ton of fish on them. Still have them and throw them also.

Fishing buddy hates to spend more than 2 dollars on cranks. He catches them as good as anybody with them. Comes down to confidence and location, location, location.

9. Banned
    All I can say is maybe sometimes. lol. Most of the time it probably doesn’t. The bait you like and have confidence in is what you will catch the most fish on. That is just a fact. I mean look at KVD. He is strictly Strike King. Really considered more of entry to mid Level crankbait. He does pretty damn good. I think that should tell you right there it’s more the Indian than the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    I have been very fortunate to be able to spend some quality time in the boat with a few touring pros. One in particular made a statement similar to the above statement. We were catching shallow fish and he said, "Do you see that bush on the point? We know it should have a fish on it since we've caught 20 on the same stuff." He said, "If Kevin were coming by it, he'd catch that fish on a moving bait, (spinnerbait, crankbait, etc.), if Zell was in here, he'd catch it on top water." Then he said, "I'll go over there and pitch this jig in there and catch that same fish. It's all about you and your confidence. We can all catch them, we just have different ways of doing it. Fish what you feel is your best option for catching "that fish" regardless of what everyone else is doing." Sounds crazy, but that's some of the best advice I have received from the many hours on the water. Fish your strengths and don't worry about what everybody else is doing.
    That’s the truth. Everyone is always wanting to know what bait the winner used then when they go out and don’t have the same results they wonder why.

I am a firm believer that the biggest thing to catching fish is being around them more so than intricate details of lure selection. Also having a high level of confidence in your lures and how you are fishing.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    Bet it was Gary Klein. I've heard him say the same thing at seminars.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I think it was Edwin Evers that said you can catch fish with the wrong bait in the right spot, but you can't catch them with the right bait in the wrong spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabnbass View Post
    I think it was Edwin Evers that said you can catch fish with the wrong bait in the right spot, but you can't catch them with the right bait in the wrong spot.
    Bingo!! Just like real estate. Location location location.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    Distracted much???
    Frustrated and distracted, I was LOOKING where I was supposed to though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12