Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to Hear Some Opinions

At the time I picked up my new 721 I didn't know about Mercury requiring AGM batteries for the new 4 stroke. After reading my manual and doing some digging I now know they do and why. The dealer didn't equip the boat with an AGM, they just put a standard 27 series wet cell battery. After contacting them and explaining what I read in the manual and found out they still act as if the battery they put is suffice. I don't agree with this and will ultimately buy an AGM in order to run what is best for motor. Am I wrong to feel that they should supply me with a new appropriate battery in your opinion?

2. Member
    Its poor service from the dealer and it should have an AGM. You also should have an itemized list of what you actually purchased.

If they charged you for a standard battery, then you got what you paid for but it really should not have been a question to begin with in my view.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

3. Member
    The 27 is not enough for any motor LOL. However, the dealer sheet should show you what they charged you for. The 31 AGM would be an upgrade in almost all cases.

4. Member
    I agree that the itemized sheet shows what I paid for. Which shows the (4) wet cell batteries. I don't mind paying for the AGM especially had I known they were required. Also, I believe the dealer and the service department should have been up to par on their knowledge and made it a necessity rather than an upgrade. Just my .02.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    Its poor service from the dealer and it should have an AGM. You also should have an itemized list of what you actually purchased.

If they charged you for a standard battery, then you got what you paid for but it really should not have been a question to begin with in my view.
    I agree 100%

6. Member
    I dare say Mercury would have a problem with one of their dealers allowing motors to go out lacking items required for Mercury to properly support their warranty. It could put Mercury in a bad place if something should happen down the road. I can be very wrong here but in general large product manufacturers like this require their dealers hold themselves to a standard

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    I dare say Mercury would have a problem with one of their dealers allowing motors to go out lacking items required for Mercury to properly support their warranty. It could put Mercury in a bad place if something should happen down the road. I can be very wrong here but in general large product manufacturers like this require their dealers hold themselves to a standard
    Totally agree. To me if its required by manufacturer than that is what it should be equipped with. I will be getting the AGM bc I know i need to have it for longevity and piece of mind. Just like to hear others thoughts too. Thanks

I just don’t understand how dealers think they can keep putting 27s in boats and not expect their customers to get upset with them. 31 agm should be standard on all bass boats. Graphs today require a lot more power than they did a few years ago and only a few 31 agms even meet the motor requirements. I could put a 27 on my boat and be dead in the water in 2 hours which I did last year when in need of a battery and no stores had 31s in stock during a multiple day power outage in northern ny. Now I’m running a northstar 31 agm and Duracell 31 agm in parallel. It’s 430 RC combined and I still feel like I could kill them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    I just don’t understand how dealers think they can keep putting 27s in boats and not expect their customers to get upset with them. 31 agm should be standard on all bass boats. Graphs today require a lot more power than they did a few years ago and only a few 31 agms even meet the motor requirements. I could put a 27 on my boat and be dead in the water in 2 hours which I did last year when in need of a battery and no stores had 31s in stock during a multiple day power outage in northern ny. Now I’m running a northstar 31 agm and Duracell 31 agm in parallel. It’s 430 RC combined and I still feel like I could kill them.
    I don't understand it either. Not like they'd loose money bc all they'd do is tack the cost on the consumer. Personally, I believe most don't educate themselves enough on the newer products and they just settle for what they have done in the past. It's frustrating bc now I will have to fork out another 350 bucks for a damn battery that should have been there in the first place. Of course, they won't do anything to make it right

10. Tico
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBucketMouth33 View Post
    At the time I picked up my new 721 I didn't know about Mercury requiring AGM batteries for the new 4 stroke. After reading my manual and doing some digging I now know they do and why. The dealer didn't equip the boat with an AGM, they just put a standard 27 series wet cell battery. After contacting them and explaining what I read in the manual and found out they still act as if the battery they put is suffice. I don't agree with this and will ultimately buy an AGM in order to run what is best for motor. Am I wrong to feel that they should supply me with a new appropriate battery in your opinion?
    Please tell us who the Dealer is so that others can avoid this issue. Thank you

11. Member
    Be thankful for the good dealers. Treat them as well as they treat you. #PalmettoBoatCenter #PBC is one of the good ones.
    Last edited by jphillips2546; 04-23-2019 at 06:38 PM.

12. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    I just put a Northstar 31 AGM in my 721 and have been running 2 Solix 12's and a Helix 12 off of it. The Wife and I went to St. Clair not long ago ran all 3 batteries for just over 8 hours and never had an issue. We did move around a bit that day but when we got home I plugged in the boat and within 10 to 15 minutes the Northstar showed green on the charger. I was amazed. Great battery!

My dealer suggested keeping the backlight down around 7 to help keep the amps up.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Please tell us who the Dealer is so that others can avoid this issue. Thank you
    Honestly, I don't want to bash anyone or point fingers. I don't like doing that. I posted this mainly so others can voice their opinions and also so people can be aware and have the discussion about the battery prior to order/purchase. Learn from my mistake and you will be fine. Sorry, not trying to be rude but I don't find it worth bashing anyone. Rather just go my way and educate others on the topic so they don't have it happen.

14. Member
    I think some dealers get big shipments for a deal so that's why they use the 27s. I never specified so I got a 27 but I have no doubt if I asked I could have got a 31. I didnt like the brand they used anyway so it never bothered me BUT my motor doesnt require an AGM. Since that's the case they should put an AGM in the boat from the start

See what they charged you for and if they did charge you for a 27 wet cell, I would offer to pay the difference for a 31 AGM to replace the wet cell. This is not something that you just WANT, it is something that Mercury requires! Shame on them for even putting a wet cell in there.

Mine has a AGM installed. When I mentioned to the dealer that I liked that they put a AGM for my cranking battery he immediately said well that's because the new 4 Stoke requires one.
    721 ​ProXp

17. Member
    I run a interstate hd27 with 4 graphs power poles ultrex I can fish for 8 hours with no problems

18. Member
    Got to watch out for this. I had a 31 agm interstate starter that had the minimum CCA and 3 27’s for the trolling motor on my boat. Replaced all four batteries already and my boat is a ‘17.

19. Member
    Mine came with an AGM

20. Member
    Update. Spoke with dealer and after speaking my mind and thoughts on the topic they have done the right thing. they bought and supplied me with a NorthStar 31. Everyone be on the lookout when purchasing a new Merc 4 stroke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast