Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrade to Ultrex

The time has come that I can upgrade to Ultrex. My issue is i need a better understanding of the link and non link and bluetooth US2 stuff. Do i only need the link if i have Humminbird units that are capable of linking to the ultrex and using the built in Transducer? Do they all cone with the built in transducer? Or is it the US2 identifies that it has the built in ducer? And Bluetooth whats the advantages of having it. Also what unit would i need to be able to set a route for the ultrex to follow or do i have to have the ultrex linked to a humminbird for that. I run Garmin and Lowrance graphs. I know im clueless guys and prolly sound dumb but any help would be great. Alot of money to spend to not get what i want/need.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

2. Member
    The US2 is the transducer on the Ultrex. This is only for straight 2D sonar (unless you get the MegaDown Imaging Ultrex and this only works with HB units).

Link is only useful if you have Humminbird units.

In short, if you don't use HB units, get the US2 non-Link Ultrex.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

More detail:

The Minnkotas have two different iPilots and two different built-in transducers.

The iPilot LINK is a Ethernet connection between the iPilot and an Ethernet equipped Humminbird unit.

The US2 (
    aka Universal Sonar)
    transducer does 83/200 kHz 2D sonar and is adaptable to several sonar brands.
    The MDI (aka MEGA Down Imaging) transducer does Low-Q High Wide CHIRP 2D sonar and three Down Imaging frequencies--455/800/1200 kHz and ONLY works with Humminbird units that have those frequencies. The plug fits SOLIX units and needs an adapter cable to use with Helix units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Business any more is "confuse the consumer" they all do it. Drives me crazy. But it makes you spend more money!

5. Member
    Let’s go through your list.

Link vs non link. If you don’t have and don’t plan on getting a Humminbird graph, the non link version is fine. There is no point to link if you do not have a Humminbird graph.

Us2 is just universal sonar. And as far as I can recall, the ultrex doesn’t have an option for no transducer. US2 will allow you to hook up any 2d graph to it using adapters. So if you only want 2D up front, you can hook this up to a Lowrance or Garmin.

Bluetooth. This is used for the connection between the remote and the ultrex. This is also how you update the ultrex. If new updates come out, you can use the app on your phone to download the update to the unit.

You can record a track with any I-pilot capable trolling motor. If you want to follow a contour line using a lakemaster card and Humminbird graph, you will need the link model. So if you wanted to follow a contour, you would need a networkable Helix unit, a lakemaster card with HD maps of your lake and possible an Ethernet port at minimum.

6. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    The Bluetooth is also used to connect the trolling motor head to the heading sensor. This enables the jog feature which allows you to move the boat in any direction in increments of 5 feet when spot locked. I use this feature all the time to move down a point or adjust angles to cover. It also allows you to set the motor to a certain speed and direction and the sensor will keep the boat on that path when no interaction from you. Use this sometimes on a couple trolling motor only lakes to switch spots, can retie, grab a drink or sit down to relax while moving.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

7. Member
    I honestly don't know how people fished by themselves without an Ultrex.....It's been invaluable to me, as I fish alone often.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

8. Member
    So in short with not having Humminbird units and no plans to get them. I would probably need to go with just the 80/45 non link US2 Bluetooth model? Because i do want to stay with 24 volts. I only have a 19ft boat so 80# is plenty i think.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    So in short with not having Humminbird units and no plans to get them. I would probably need to go with just the 80/45 non link US2 Bluetooth model? Because i do want to stay with 24 volts. I only have a 19ft boat so 80# is plenty i think.
    The 80lb will probably be fine for you. If you have room for an extra battery it can't hurt to go up to a 36 volt but an 80lb will probably be OK if you are happy with the power of your current 24V setup. I put an 80lb ultrex on my 18.5ft Ranger and it has plenty of power and battery life.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Let’s go through your list.

Link vs non link. If you don’t have and don’t plan on getting a Humminbird graph, the non link version is fine. There is no point to link if you do not have a Humminbird graph.

Us2 is just universal sonar. And as far as I can recall, the ultrex doesn’t have an option for no transducer. US2 will allow you to hook up any 2d graph to it using adapters. So if you only want 2D up front, you can hook this up to a Lowrance or Garmin.

Bluetooth. This is used for the connection between the remote and the ultrex. This is also how you update the ultrex. If new updates come out, you can use the app on your phone to download the update to the unit.

You can record a track with any I-pilot capable trolling motor. If you want to follow a contour line using a lakemaster card and Humminbird graph, you will need the link model. So if you wanted to follow a contour, you would need a networkable Helix unit, a lakemaster card with HD maps of your lake and possible an Ethernet port at minimum.
    I just want to add.... US2 will not hook up to Raymarine, even just the 2d.

I have the Ultrex Link, linked to networked Helix 10 SI G2n and Helix 7 SI G2n. I never use the Link features. For one reason, it requires Lakemaster and Lakemaster is terrible for their selection of Oklahoma lakes....at least the lakes I fish regularly. I pretty much use the Ultrex like I have every other trolling motor I've ever had but with Spot Lock and cruise control. I do use the remote control on occasion but I think that comes with either model.

I've come to really appreciate it on windy days. It allows you to take your foot off the pedal for a minute to land a fish or retie or pee without the boat being blown into the rocks. The cruise control is a nice feature as well....want to move to a point 500 yards away...just point the motor at the place you want to go and hit the N (red lite) and the prop (green lite) buttons and it will take you to that point allowing for wind and current. Pay attention when using this, the motor doesn't know if there's an obstruction of some kind or if you're even still in the boat.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    And be careful the first time you use bunny hop, it WILL throw you out of the boat if you aren't paying attention.....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

13. Member
    I just put the 80/45/24v on my 17ft Fiberglass Champion and it is fantastic. It has more power than you will need unless you want to waterski with the trolling motor....

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    "bunny hop"
    Love the name.

15. Member
    All helpful stuff guys. I dont really want another battery so i will end up with the 80#. That is plenty for me. Im just excited to be getting one.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

16. Member
    Been a couple days but... I have a 36v on my 19 footer and it works great. But... I have a newer wife boaf. An 80 would work for me more often than not.

In your case, it seems you already have a 70lb so should know what to expect out of a 24 volt system. I honestly think you’ll be fine with an 80lb

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Been a couple days but... I have a 36v on my 19 footer and it works great. But... I have a newer wife boaf. An 80 would work for me more often than not.

In your case, it seems you already have a 70lb so should know what to expect out of a 24 volt system. I honestly think you’ll be fine with an 80lb
    Yes sir i think the 80/45 in non link is my decision
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    For one reason, it requires Lakemaster and Lakemaster is terrible for their selection of Oklahoma lakes...
    It doesnt. You can use autochart live maps.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    Yes sir i think the 80/45 in non link is my decision
    That is what I have on my 19' Charger and it will be plenty strong enough. I fished last weekend in extremely high winds and big waves and it had no problem holding my boat. it seems stronger than my 80lb Maxxum and it had just been rebuilt.

I have lowrance units and an ultrex. The Universal transducer in my opinion sucks. I bought the Adapter cable to plug in to my Lowrance unit. For what ever reason if would read the bottom half of the time.

I got tired of turning off my unit and turning it back on so I just run an external transducer now. Its been trouble free

Attached Images Attached Images

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast