250 Verado Alarms

Hey guys. I've got an 05 250 Verado that will seem to randomly send warning alarms when i run down the lake. It will beep 6 times. Doesn't seem to affect the performance whatsoever and doesn't happen every run. It also seems to happen more often towards the end of the day if I'm out all day. Anyone have an idea of what this could mean? I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a weak battery that may be causing it. My units have shut off when i start to get the boat on pad a couple times recently. Never had an issue with them before so I'm fairly confident its not loose wiring.

Any help before i go pay $100 an hour for someone to read a code would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    I think you may be on the right track with a weak battery. Check and clean all connections and have the battery load tested. Batteries Plus will do it.

3. Member
    Update: I have installed a new 31 intimidator AGM for my cranking battery and will hopefully get to run the boat tonight and see if the alarms show up again.

4. Member
    Update: Battery did not fix the issue...at the shop now to read some codes!

5. Member
    Bummer...keep us posted on what they find.

6. Member
    Update: Code came back as low oil pressure. Motor also is about a quart and half low on oil in only about 10 hours run time since my last oil change. Also the motor only has 170 hours on it total. Gave me a few different options of what could be the culprit.

One was the oil pressure sensors, which apparently cannot be tested...just have to be replaced and hope its the fix.

Option two was the main bearings blowing oil by them...aka new power head.

The third possibility, and according to my mechanic the most likely, is my temperature sensors in combination with my supercharger leaking a small amount of oil. They said my heads and block were showing about 100 degrees difference when they ran it in the shop, and think that is why the motor was burning oil, because its getting too hot.

Temperature sensor should be at the shop in a couple days to see if that is the fix.

7. Member
    Wow, sounds extreme for a motor with only 170 hours. Did you buy the motor new? If used, does the sn on the pcm match what is stamped on the block?

8. Member
    I bought the motor used. I purchased the boat and motor with only 67 hours on it total 2 and half years ago. I'm fairly confident that the numbers will match up like they should, but I may look into that.

9. Member
    My mechanic called today and said that replacing the thermostat has corrected the temperature difference and he feels confident that was causing the burning of the oil/low oil pressure alarm. I will pick up the boat soon and monitor oil levels each time i run the boat and will try to update everyone on if this fixes the issue!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Make sure the oil is being checked CORRECTLY. Very easy to "see" a low oil condition and end up over-filling the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    My apologies! Since my boat was at the shop i dont have the serial number handy. And i appreciate the tip, but it was definitely low on oil and i do agree it is easy to not read a verado oil level properly. I will update my post to reflect my serial number when i pick the boat up!

12. Member
    First...i still dont have my serial number so please dont shoot me.

Final update on the motor. Blown up. Appears to have spun the bearings either from overheating when the thermostat went out, or just simply had problems because of the previous owner not running the motor enough. lost about a quart of oil in 10 minutes of run time and the oil filter is full of metal shards.

Now on to a new pro xs or SHO!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wow! Not something you see very often on the Verado engines- especially the Gen-1's. The ProXS (DTS) would be a simple re-rig for your boat.

Command Module, maybe an extension harness, check everything over, configure and go. Finding the engine will be the biggest part.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quickest i could find one is by August Leaning towards a SHO pretty hard since i can have one soon!
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250