93 Merc XRi 150 randomly shutting down...

Hope to get some insight from you guys on this issue...
    1993 Merc XRi 150 on my 1993 Procraft 180Pro. Bought it in 1998 from the original owner with just over 100 hours on it.
    Motor ran perfect, but in 1999 at 120 hours, #3 cylinder ate a wrist pin clip and ruined the piston, rings, head and cylinder sleeve.
    Will Correa from Toni Marine in Middletown, RI rebuilt the motor and it has ran flawlessly up until last season.
    For some reason now while running, whether wide open or getting on plane, it will just die as if someone shut the ignition off. After I put it in neutral and come to a stop, it starts right back up and is pretty much fine for the rest of the day...maybe doing that one or two more times.
    I’ve changed both voltage regulators because it was over charging. Now charging at 14.2 volts. I’ve changed both fuel pumps and filter and also changed thermostats.

I pulled the check valve out at the bottom of the VST tank and checked it. It was clean. I was going to replace it, but at $387 for that damn thing, I'd like to rule it out before buying an expensive part that I don't need.

I also pulled the filter above the electric fuel pump. That was perfectly clean, as well.
    I'm beginning to think it's the fuel pump driver in the ECU. I don't have an issue putting money into this motor as It's been very good to me for over 20 years...just want to replace what is actually needed.

I’ve checked all connections at the ignition switch as well.
    Once it’s running, it runs perfectly.
    Any thoughts?

2. Member
    electrical problem , if vst was out of fuel it would not restart without pumping bulb, make sure cannon plug is clean and spread pins in connector for better connection
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    What is the "Cannon Plug"?

...nevermind. Found it, lol.