Bass boat values

How much value (on average) do you think a bass boat loses each year from new purchase?

2. Member
    I’ll play, I’d say it does depend on add on’s and condition but all things equal i would say about 2-2500

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Like new, or practically so, a $75,000 boat will depreciate $10,000 or more in the first year. Percentage-wise, bass boats depreciate at least 50% in the first 10 years. After several years, however, depreciation slows down a lot. Continuing depreciation after 6 or 7 years depends upon condition, of course. Wear and tear, plus the outdating of some components, can still pull down residual value.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

From what I see being asked on used rigs not much. The sky rocketing cost of new rigs has made the used market very stable. Now RV, yeah that is a different story

I would venture to say all new boats loose 15 percent the first year. Then 2 percent every year there after if garage kept and well maintained, otherwise 5 percent or more per year if neglected.

6. Member
    That’s kind of a loaded question since there’s so many factors that play into it. The ones who ask a ridiculous price for used are the ones who buy new rigs every few years so they think their boat is worth it’s weight in gold. The used boat market is so ridiculous because people think their boat is worth thousands more than what it is. 90% of people need to finance a boat and they can only get a loan for what the boat is worth. No bank will give a 40,000 loan on a boat who’s book value is 30,000 especially since the insurance company will only cover what it’s worth to them, not what the seller thinks it’s worth. And that’s why you see a lot of boats for sale on this forum that have been for sale for over a year.

Best answer would be post #5 I’d say it loses value quickly and then tapers down almost like a parabolic curve. 15% the first year, then continues a downward curve every year after. Average rate would be an additional 2-3% of original value every year after the first year.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    From what I see being asked on used rigs not much. The sky rocketing cost of new rigs has made the used market very stable. Now RV, yeah that is a different story
    Depends on how upside down they are and trying to squeeze every dollar they can on the sale to cover their low down payment on a high dollar rig with a 15 year note that they realized they can't afford. You see a lot of one year old boats with low hours sold by guys that are possibly on Memo deals at good prices but scroll down and see an equally equipped model for $5-10k more, who do you think is upside down. If searching for a 1-2 year boat with low hours you can find some deals but it might take some time. Patience is the key.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 04-23-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Most new boats lose 10% to 15% in the first year and the 5% to 10% for the next 5 years depending on brand and motor. After 6 + years , it really depends on brand, condition and any upgrades. There are some regional factors that come into play also.

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'd imagine about 10% in the first year. I'd also say that after the first 4-5 years it really slows down a lot. Of course it depends on the brand of boat and the accessories, as well as condition.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Depends a lot on what brand of boat along with supply vs demand.
    If your looking to buy a used Allison Basport.. your going to pay... IF you can find one!!.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Like new, or practically so, a $75,000 boat will depreciate $10,000 or more in the first year. Percentage-wise, bass boats depreciate at least 50% in the first 10 years. After several years, however, depreciation slows down a lot. Continuing depreciation after 6 or 7 years depends upon condition, of course. Wear and tear, plus the outdating of some components, can still pull down residual value.
    Totally agree with this. Look on the "Boats For Sale" board and many new boats that were $75,000 are selling for high 50's or low 60's after ONE year.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS