Michigan road trip.

My dad and myself are going to take a road trip through Michigan last week and a half of May looking for a smallmouth bonanza. We are going to fish our way from Maybe st. Clair to Saginaw bay to traverse city area. My question is,are there any lakes you would recommend on our journey or lakes that you would flat out just skip? Would just fishing the big waters be better than fishing inland lakes or vice Versa this time of year? Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    What kind of boat do you have, meaning can it handle potentially rough water? And how old is your dad because St Clair, Saginaw Bay and the Traverse bays can get rough when/if the winds blow and it can beat you up. Chances of finding a "smallmouth bonanza" are better on the Great Lakes waters but if you want a more 'relaxing' time, good quality fishing exists on many smaller inland lakes.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    What kind of boat do you have, meaning can it handle potentially rough water? And how old is your dad because St Clair, Saginaw Bay and the Traverse bays can get rough when/if the winds blow and it can beat you up. Chances of finding a "smallmouth bonanza" are better on the Great Lakes waters but if you want a more 'relaxing' time, good quality fishing exists on many smaller inland lakes.

I have a 21 foot legend and dad is 62 but enjoys fishing Erie with me every year. I know some days we will have to fish inland waters due to the weather/waves

I would plan to fish the big water / Great Lakes as my first option and have some smaller inland lakes planned out just in case the wind keeps you off the big water. In general most of the inland lakes have descent fishing and can save a windy day but don't expect them to be like the Great Lakes or connecting waters. Just make the best of what the weather gives you and have fun.

st clair for sure on a weekday. Grand Traverse Bay will be pre-spawn but should be good fishing

also burt/mullet, charlevoix, skegmog,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamranger View Post
    I have a 21 foot legend and dad is 62 but enjoys fishing Erie with me every year. I know some days we will have to fish inland waters due to the weather/waves
    With that boat I expect you'll be fine on the GL unless the wind is howling. Good luck!

let me know the week before you come and I should have a good idea of the bite on Saginaw Bay.
    Kyle Frick
    FrickerDude
    Frick-N-Fishin' Baits