Ultrex shaft length question

Hello, I'm in the process of buying used ultrex with 45 " shaft. I'm pretty sure this will work on my boat as the top of the deck to the water line is 20". My question is how much of the shaft must stay about the steering box? In other words, do I loose a certain amount of my shaft length because it runs out of travel due it bottoming out on the steering box?

Thank for any help!!

I own a 21 ft. Triton bass boat and I have the 45" Ultrex. It seems to do fine. If you fish big, deep water with big waves, you will probably be better off getting the 60" shaft.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

Quote Originally Posted by Newbe2 View Post
    Hello, I'm in the process of buying used ultrex with 45 " shaft. I'm pretty sure this will work on my boat as the top of the deck to the water line is 20". My question is how much of the shaft must stay about the steering box? In other words, do I loose a certain amount of my shaft length because it runs out of travel due it bottoming out on the steering box?

Thank for any help!!
    If I'm reading this right you will indeed lose the length of the adjustment collar.

My boat came with the 45” model. Wake boats and wind waves would break the prop loose. I replace the 45 with the 52 and that eliminated the issue. If I’m in shallow water i can slide the shaft up.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,