Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    THATS IT, now we need to ask our MOD to ask Al to make another ranger forum! Pre JM Ranger board and Post JM Ranger board.

While your at it also ask for an ex-Ranger owner board.
    I’m on it. Also asking for a “My Ranger is better than your Ranger” board.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin387 View Post
    It is simple Wal Mart Economics. If you do some research, you will find that the same business model for Wal Mart is the same as BPS. Not taking anything away from JM, he is successful. I myself thought that Cabelas Brand of stuff had way more quality then BPS branded stuff. With that said, that is the reason you can buy a $5 "T" shirt at Wal Mart. They beat the vendors to a point of making sub-par items to get the cost down. Some of the stuff suffers, some don't. Ranger still builds a hell of a boat and probably will always be top of the line. If you haven't seen the new Nitro, it is a nice boat as well. I called Ranger the other day and saw no difference from when I called there years ago. It took a few more minutes to get through, but overall it was a good parts buying experience.

The prior owners of Ranger boats were equity companies. If that's not about profit I dont know what is. JM is not an equity company. He buys for keeps and has so for 40+ years.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ram rod View Post
    why does the guy in the kayak gotta be gay?

If anything from the new boats I've seen personally..the quality is actually better since the JM acquisition. Quality was slipping a little in years prior..look at all the trailer problems and soft lids...other quality control..my 07 Z21 was missing a bunch of screws in the rub rail..lighting wire cut straight through in rear storage boxes. The 19 Z521L I sepnt the day in was immaculate...and beautiful.

My current Ranger is a pre JM (2015) Ranger and my next one will be a post JM Ranger and the next one and the next one

6. Member
    Am still a Ranger fan and they still better than most anything out there, but to say quality is better than the earlier boats is just not true. If you were lucky enough to have one of the 520VX or 521VX boats from 03 to 05 and moved to a later model you know what I mean.

A few years ago, my wife and I were christening my new Ranger in a secluded cove.

Suddenly, an image of a kayak popped into my head.

Kind of ruined the moment, but it was a pre-Johnny Morris Ranger.

8. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ram rod View Post
    why does the guy in the kayak gotta be gay?
    Must have been in a JM owned kayak company.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Owned many pre Jm Rangers. Most recent 2 boats are 2014 521c and this 2019 521L is my first Post JM Ranger.
    Did last two go back for warranty...yes was it JM's fault ...probably(sarcasm)
    Is the latest one more plastic and feel more like a nitro....yes
    Things I don't like about this new one are mostly model change things...no fault of JM.
    Did I still buy a JM boat even though I hear all the horror stories...yes
    3 months and counting we'll see how longevity compares. quality of the glass doesn't seem the same, this new one chips a lot easier than the pre-JM
    Is it going back for more warranty work....yes, plus whatever breaks/falls apart throughout the season
    Has the factory changed since takeover...most definitely... If you don't think so go for a tour....talk to the guys at the factory, or have a beer with a few after work and hear what they really have to say. better yet walk into VEXUS(oops cus word on ranger forum) and ask those boys how many came from ranger.

Summary;
    is it different - yes,
    is it worse.....(insert personal opinion here) mine is yes
    are they being built more efficiently..yes
    does that mean cheaper....yes
    who's responsible...easy answer the owner Johnny Morris
    Will I buy another....Probably (slow learner)

Got a 2000 Ranger 520vx that is immaculate. Always gets attention at the boat ramp from the people that knows boats and Ranger. My boat is 19 years old and just repowered 3 years ago from the original Optimax. End of story.
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

11. Member
    This is kind of comical to me. Is it REALLY Ranger bashing or not. Whether or not it is a JM Ranger or FLW Ranger or Equity Ranger? Every single position on this matter is simply an opinion. It won’t change anything, it won’t fix the JM Rangers or make the Equity Rangers better.
    Believe it or not people, most people don’t even know the difference between the Rangers. We on BBC are privileged to have this knowledge but really, it makes no difference to most. It was numbing to me how many people don’t even know that JM owns Ranger or even how many people know that BPS bought Cabelas. I will be honest and say that if I could afford to buy a 100k boat, it would probably be a Ranger. Why, they have taken care of me with my current boat. They have always done the right thing and above and beyond. When JM bought Ranger my only concern was the current warranties and whether he would honor them or not. So far I think it has been a good acquisition for him and the consumer. Like my dad tells me all the time “it’s a damn fishing boat, go fishing and enjoy it”.
    Last edited by Javelin387; 04-24-2019 at 07:25 AM.

12. Member
    there's alot to take apart here. Let's start back when you were a teen....

oh, times up.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    A few years ago, my wife and I were christening my new Ranger in a secluded cove.

Suddenly, an image of a kayak popped into my head.

Kind of ruined the moment, but it was a pre-Johnny Morris Ranger.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking! Not only is he defending Ranger owners, but he's profiling kayak fishermen!
    OMG...i missed that part but almost wet myself reading the responses....but i do have to admit I sometimes scratch my head when I see kayak fishermen...not that anything's wrong with it!

14. Member
    I have a brand new Ranger and a 9 year old Ranger sitting side by side in my shop right now and I can tell you the fit of the compartment lids, Trim, Besels is not even close. The older boat is perfect even after 9 years. The brand new $100,000 boat has lids that are tight on one end and out 1/2 inch on the other. There is one piece of plastic around the shifter that I can fit a carpenters pencil in the gap. Now I can't see below the floor but why would it be any different.

On a good note the outside of the boat and the trailer look flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin387 View Post
    This is kind of comical to me. Is it REALLY Ranger bashing or not. Whether or not it is a JM Ranger or FLW Ranger or Equity Ranger? Every single position on this matter is simply an opinion. It won’t change anything, it won’t fix the JM Rangers or make the Equity Rangers better.
    Believe it or not people, most people don’t even know the difference between the Rangers. We on BBC are privileged to have this knowledge but really, it makes no difference to most. It was numbing to me how many people don’t even know that JM owns Ranger or even how many people know that BPS bought Cabelas. I will be honest and say that if I could afford to buy a 100k boat, it would probably be a Ranger. Why, they have taken care of me with my current boat. They have always done the right thing and above and beyond. When JM bought Ranger my only concern was the current warranties and whether he would honor them or not. So far I think it has been a good acquisition for him and the consumer. Like my dad tells me all the time “it’s a damn fishing boat, go fishing and enjoy it”.
    Good post.

(Facts)... I bought a left over 2016 Ranger 522D from a dealer in MI in 2017 (*Paid Cash*). I'm from NY. To make a long story short, after using the boat for a couple weeks there were so many problems with the boat that Ranger took the boat back to the factory to access the situation. They ended up building be a new 2018 522D for me. The second boat had more problems than the first one, but this time I decided to fix it myself. (since there are no competent Ranger dealers here in upstate NY) Ranger worked with me, and sent me all the parts I needed to complete the repairs, and make the boat "right". Ranger sent me everything from new seats and driver's consul to center caps for the trailer and everything else in between. In the end Ranger even sent me check for my labor hours. I highly doubt any other boat company would do that.

(Opinion)...Ranger could have saved themselves a ton of money if their quality control was better.
    (Opinion)...The Ranger factory missed a lot of little things (that could have easily been avoided) that added up to give the finished product a less than quality feel and look to it.

Bottom line: Good or bad, JM or not, from my 2 year ordeal, if your having a warranty issues Ranger Boats will still make it right for you. That says a lot about the present day JM Ranger Boats.

From now on I will never look at a "guy" in a kayak the same way because of this stupid thread.

16. Member
    Damn someone is wound a bi tight. You would've thought someone tried to kidnap his first born

17. Member
    There still slow!!!!!!!!!!
    2020 Caymas CX20

18. Member
    I love my ranger.

Ahh never mind
    Last edited by dean c; 04-24-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stepup View Post
    There still slow!!!!!!!!!!

Yes there are...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast