Thread: Green ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green ?

Gene.
    You been on Green this week ?

I fish just about every Tuesday. I put a dozen or so in the boat but would be lucky to have 5 that went 6 pounds. All my fish were deformed...Their eyes were too close to their ass . The lake is up 2 ft and water color is clear to light stain with most being clear. Temps for the most part are mid 60.

3. Member
    Saw you out there yesterday , we had the same problem so we went in back of coves saw a lot of fish on beds with 3 of them doing the buck bumping the female in the side, that was pretty neat .
    Last edited by kimclark; 04-24-2019 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimclark View Post
    Saw you out there yesterday , we had the same problem so we went in back of coves saw a lot of fish on beds with 3 of them doing the buck bumping the female in the side, that was pretty neat .
    I saw you and your grandson come by as I was getting my stuff ready to go home.

5. Member
    I hope we can get on something by Saturday's Regional's or it's going to be a long day.

6. Member
    I hope we can get on something by Saturday's Regional's or it's going to be a long day.
    Bruce was out yesterday as well... I think he said they caught 9 fish, best 5 probably around 10.5 pounds (a 4 pounder, and a bunch of 15 inchers). He thought they could have done better had they spent more time on the productive spots. They weren't looking in the coves. Neither of us have any talent at sight fishing. If we see a fish, we can't catch it.

Good luck Saturday.

Clint

7. Member
    So they haven't on beds yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by S.Curtsinger View Post
    So they haven't on beds yet ?
    From what I have seen over the years there will be a few early ones, then a couple weeks later there will be a big wave and this is when the majority spawn. Then there will be a small round of late spawners. In my opinion (and I may very well be wrong) the first early ones have come and gone. I saw two clusters of fry Tuesday 4/23 so this tells me that some spawned a week to ten days ago. In my opinion the big wave is either going on right now or getting ready to go on in the next few days. Then there will be a small round of late spawners. I kept records for several years and my first visible bed on Green was always in the time frame of April 15-25. The key word in that statement was visible because not all bass have visible beds nor do they all go on a full moon. I have seen visible beds on all four moon stages and with water as low as 58* and as high as 70* and as late as June 1. My point is the bass spawn is a several weeks or couple months ordeal but it does have a peak and the peak should be right now or any day. Sorry for the long reply but long story short I have seen fry so yes the spawn started a few days.

On a side note the carp spawn is in its early stage. The lake is up about 2 ft and carp are going nuts where the high water has clay dirt. Typically the carp and shad spawn peak is about 15 or so days after the peak of the bass spawn. I have seen zero shad spawn activity but the carp are going nuts in the shallows.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    From what I have seen over the years there will be a few early ones, then a couple weeks later there will be a big wave and this is when the majority spawn. Then there will be a small round of late spawners. In my opinion (and I may very well be wrong) the first early ones have come and gone. I saw two clusters of fry Tuesday 4/23 so this tells me that some spawned a week to ten days ago. In my opinion the big wave is either going on right now or getting ready to go on in the next few days. Then there will be a small round of late spawners. I kept records for several years and my first visible bed on Green was always in the time frame of April 15-25. The key word in that statement was visible because not all bass have visible beds nor do they all go on a full moon. I have seen visible beds on all four moon stages and with water as low as 58* and as high as 70* and as late as June 1. My point is the bass spawn is a several weeks or couple months ordeal but it does have a peak and the peak should be right now or any day. Sorry for the long reply but long story short I have seen fry so yes the spawn started a few days.

On a side note the carp spawn is in its early stage. The lake is up about 2 ft and carp are going nuts where the high water has clay dirt. Typically the carp and shad spawn peak is about 15 or so days after the peak of the bass spawn. I have seen zero shad spawn activity but the carp are going nuts in the shallows.
    Gene i agree 100 percent

10. Member

we saw a shad spawn about 2 weeks ago. They were right up against the bluffs and gravel rolling in big balls. Even though greens a small lake they spawn in different areas at different times. The river spawn and the main lake spawn are usually 3 weeks to a month apart. I hate trying to sight fish that lake. Seems like every good fish i see on a bed will be in the most unaccessible spot possible. There always seems to be a week or so i cant find any pre or postspawn fish and have to look at em and its my least favorite time to fish. Id say were there. I caught a pile of bucks up to 3lbs a few days ago then caught a 4.54 male and a 7.02 female on back to back casts. Both had bloody tails, were beat to crap and red as they could be. She hadnt laid out but they were doing their dance, and it was on the main lake. Ive always thought more of the big fish spawn main lake than people give em credit for
    They aint got hands, set the hook

11. Member
    Steven i agree a lot of the big older females have been doing this a long time and deeper rock ledges on main lake don't get pounded by boat traffic like 2 and 3 feet deep banks will, from what i have seen weighing fish for the club you will see bloody tails even up till June.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Based on what I saw even if you were on fish it will be a long day. I left work friday afternoon and drove by Lucky Vista and lost count at 10 boats in their parking lot. Then at Cornerstone I saw 3 more getting fuel and then from the city limits to the lake I met another 5-6 more...all boats/trucks I saw in parking areas or on the road had an adult with 2 youths with them. If what I saw in a small window is any indication of how many boats that are going to be in the tournament saturday then people will not have to run to a spot they can just step over into the boat next to them to change spots because the lake will be covered in boats Anyways I wish you and Thomas luck. I have not spoke to Jacob since spring break but I bet he is fishing as well so I hope all of the TCHS team members who fish does well. I normally stop at Cornerstone every morning I work to get breakfast. On a typical tournament morning there will be a few boats there but in the morning I am expecting it to be a madhouse around 5:40 AM when I get there

13. Member
    Thanks Gene , our tournament will be going out at safe light, 87 boats in 3 flights and from what was said at the meeting tonight there are 2 other ones going out at different ramps.

14. Member
    Based on what I saw even if you were on fish it will be a long day. I left work friday afternoon and drove by Lucky Vista and lost count at 10 boats in their parking lot. Then at Cornerstone I saw 3 more getting fuel and then from the city limits to the lake I met another 5-6 more...all boats/trucks I saw in parking areas or on the road had an adult with 2 youths with them. If what I saw in a small window is any indication of how many boats that are going to be in the tournament saturday then people will not have to run to a spot they can just step over into the boat next to them to change spots because the lake will be covered in boats Anyways I wish you and Thomas luck. I have not spoke to Jacob since spring break but I bet he is fishing as well so I hope all of the TCHS team members who fish does well. I normally stop at Cornerstone every morning I work to get breakfast. On a typical tournament morning there will be a few boats there but in the morning I am expecting it to be a madhouse around 5:40 AM when I get there
    Greens a cluster every weekend march-may. I never thought id be that guy, but they really need to do something about the insane amount of tournaments out there. Throwing 100 high school boats is dumb enough without the other 2-5 tournies thatll be out there. Its that way every weekend

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I spoke to one of the kids this morning at cornerstone. 87 boats plus the other clubs events puts well over 100 boats on Green. I remember about 15-20 years ago when Renegade was one big division I fished the Green event with my neighbor and they had 108 boats. Then there was the other club events. It was a madhouse. Even if you tried to fish something odd and out of the way there would be a boat on it. I am not an anti tourney guy either but it would be nice if there was a way to limit boats per acre and still make everyone happy. The thing is certain times of the year due to seasonal patterns the lake will fish small. I know if I were going today I would eliminate 25-35% of the water before I even left the house making the lake fish smaller than what it already is.

16. Member
    I spoke to one of the kids this morning at cornerstone. 87 boats plus the other clubs events puts well over 100 boats on Green. I remember about 15-20 years ago when Renegade was one big division I fished the Green event with my neighbor and they had 108 boats. Then there was the other club events. It was a madhouse. Even if you tried to fish something odd and out of the way there would be a boat on it. I am not an anti tourney guy either but it would be nice if there was a way to limit boats per acre and still make everyone happy. The thing is certain times of the year due to seasonal patterns the lake will fish small. I know if I were going today I would eliminate 25-35% of the water before I even left the house making the lake fish smaller than what it already is.
    There are 100 tourny boats on the lake pretty much every saturday in April. I fish nearly as many tournies as anybody on Green and i wish theyd cut 3/4 of them out. I know itd be a lot less tournies that i get to fish and im good with that. Maybe limit it to 1 or 2 tournies per weekend and one during the week. All this “grow the sport” crap is getting out of hand

17. Member
    All the local lakes get hammered just like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    All the local lakes get hammered just like this.
    Agree. I know the local business love them. Lots of folks spend good money there, but can be a PIA

19. Member
    I know we were there for a club tourney. We got to the ramp and was parked up the hill in line. We all decided to go to site 1. We only had 5 boats show up and we decided it would be best for us to change ramps. ...lake was rather crowded. If you weren't first to a spot you were in line fishing. We went by a little before the high schoolers took off. Allot of boats there for sure and there were still some launching.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    There are 100 tourny boats on the lake pretty much every saturday in April. I fish nearly as many tournies as anybody on Green and i wish theyd cut 3/4 of them out. I know itd be a lot less tournies that i get to fish and im good with that. Maybe limit it to 1 or 2 tournies per weekend and one during the week. All this “grow the sport” crap is getting out of hand
    Better get used to it. I remember when Ronnie Grant had a bass master article about Barren. Everyone knew what would happen and it did. Green will walk in the shadows soon enough as well, especially since I seen some huge white bass caught yesterday.

The tournament situation will soon be epic., not sure if it will be or should be regulated, but it is coming. Green River Lake is Ky Lake .2. I have never had boats sit down 30 yds in front of me inside a holler before, I can check that one off my list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast