Need help with shift cable

Today my 225 optimax wouldn't shift into drive. The engine revved as I pushed the handle forward so the cable that controls speed seems to work. I'm hoping the problem is in the shift handle at the console but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the cable box out. Are there step by step instructions anywhere online that I can refer to? The crazy thing is I have a $50 maintenance manual that doesn't have any information about the shift cable.

2. Member
    Have you looked to see if the cable is properly connected to the linkage under the cowling?

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ and moves when you shift gears,if not remove cable from holder on engine and pull on end of cable if core comes out bad cable , control box has to come out
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    The cable is attached properly under the engine and when I removed the nuyt on the end and pulled the cable it pulls out so I'm pretty sure the cable is not attached at the box end but I'm trying to figure out how to get the handle off so I can get to the box. I am thinking I have to remove the button that disengages the drive cable and there is probably a screw behind it but I didn't want to start forcing things if I'm wrong.

5. Member
    Also, I am thinking I should use the bad cable to help pull the new one through the gunnel rather than pull out the bad one first. Is that a good idea or do I need to measure the cable length before ordering a new one?

6. Member
    I got the cable out. The new one gets here in 2 days.

7. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................