Try before you buy?

Last week, I picked up a Daiwa Fuego 2500LT for to be paired with a St Croix Legend elite panfish rod. I visited a local pro shop during their open house sale. I tested several reels on their shelf and landed on the LT due to weight and price point. It was a very nice feeling reel and would accomplish my goals. As a side note, I typically buy JDM so buying anything other is a rare occasion for me.

After spinning the demo reel, they handed me a boxed reel off the shelf, I made my purchases and went home. At home I unboxed the reel installed the handle to get some line on it. What I found out of the box was disappointing. The reel was not free and smooth like the one in the store, it was sticky on the retrieve, hard to turn the handle. Further when I reeled it faster, the reel made the usual whir sound from the air moving through the rotor but there was a noticeable whine (like a turbo engine winding up) coming form the internals. It was honestly unfishable. I contemplated opening it to see if it was just over greased/oiled but then decided Should let the retailer deal with it.

Thankfully I bought local and could just bring it back, they traded me for another. We took it out of the box in-store and I found this one to be smooth and clean. They loaded it with new line and I was off to the lake.

I am not sure if I want to buy any more Non-JDM reels online based on this experience. The store reported that no brand was immune to these types of situations. This is not meant to be a knock on online retailers. I know I learned I will be trying before I buy in the future.

Anyone else run into faulty new reels?

2. Banned
    I had picked up a baitcaster from an online retailer. Had a slight tick to it on the retrieve. Being as I service reels, it was easy to fix by changing out a bad spool bearing. I can see how it could be frustrating to an average consumer. The truth is, like you said, no brand is immune to a slip in QC. Some are better than others, but there is always that risk. Shopping local can guarantee you a better chance as you can feel them before you take them home with you.

3. Member
    JDM reels are not exempt to this either. I’ve serviced and repaired quite a few new JDM reels over the years. It’s a risk we take as consumers. A good retailer will always stand behind the product they sell.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormdunker View Post
    Last week, I picked up a Daiwa Fuego 2500LT for to be paired with a St Croix Legend elite panfish rod. I visited a local pro shop during their open house sale. I tested several reels on their shelf and landed on the LT due to weight and price point. It was a very nice feeling reel and would accomplish my goals. As a side note, I typically buy JDM so buying anything other is a rare occasion for me.

After spinning the demo reel, they handed me a boxed reel off the shelf, I made my purchases and went home. At home I unboxed the reel installed the handle to get some line on it. What I found out of the box was disappointing. The reel was not free and smooth like the one in the store, it was sticky on the retrieve, hard to turn the handle. Further when I reeled it faster, the reel made the usual whir sound from the air moving through the rotor but there was a noticeable whine (like a turbo engine winding up) coming form the internals. It was honestly unfishable. I contemplated opening it to see if it was just over greased/oiled but then decided Should let the retailer deal with it.

Thankfully I bought local and could just bring it back, they traded me for another. We took it out of the box in-store and I found this one to be smooth and clean. They loaded it with new line and I was off to the lake.

I am not sure if I want to buy any more Non-JDM reels online based on this experience. The store reported that no brand was immune to these types of situations. This is not meant to be a knock on online retailers. I know I learned I will be trying before I buy in the future.

Anyone else run into faulty new reels?
    Too often, Okuma Helios, Tatula SV, BB1 Pro, Chronarch MGL, Daiwa SV105, Stradic 1000