Thread: What a beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2. Banned
    Holy crap!!

3. Member
    Walking their gar.
    Praying for a Cure

I have seen them bigger at the Springfield MO Bass Pro Shops.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Banned
    Man I’d love to go catch those things!!! Anybody on here fish for those things??? Maybe take me on a trip?!!! I’ll trade ya out for some Indiana fishing lol.

1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Banned
    They get alot bigger on the trinity river. They just put new rules out to protect them more than in the past, no bowfishing at night and you have to draw a limitied # of permits to shoot one next year for the first time. Your still allowed to rod and reel fish for them.

8. Member
    That fish is huge looks prehistoric, great catch.

9. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Dayum

10. Member
    I never knew they smelled so bad. Caught one like that on the Kissimmee river below Lake Kissimmee. Pulled it's head on the back deck to get the hook out. Nasty!

11. Member
    I caught one a few years back.. Not nearly that big though probably only in the 30lb range. Surprisingly he didnt put up the fight I thought they would. Caught him by mistake on light spinning gear and didnt really have much issue getting him in.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I caught one a few years back.. Not nearly that big though probably only in the 30lb range. Surprisingly he didnt put up the fight I thought they would. Caught him by mistake on light spinning gear and didnt really have much issue getting him in.
    Where you catch one of these at??? Not around here anywhere I think. Man I’d love to catch one of these things!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Where you catch one of these at??? Not around here anywhere I think. Man I’d love to catch one of these things!!!
    Ohio river is full of them. Not as big. I’ve saw them up to about 4’.. they love to hang out just below the surface in the slack water behind barges. Look for the ones that are loaded and are lower in the water. Can be caught on small twitch baits worked very slow but a live bait is hands down best...

14. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Ohio river is full of them. Not as big. I’ve saw them up to about 4’.. they love to hang out just below the surface in the slack water behind barges. Look for the ones that are loaded and are lower in the water. Can be caught on small twitch baits worked very slow but a live bait is hands down best...
    Are you sure those are not regular gars, not gator gars.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Yeah those are just common long nose gar. The picture is of an alligator gar. Two completely different species. These gator gar are 4 foot long when they come out of the womb lol. Seriously though look them up on you tube. They are one bad ass fish.

16. Banned
    Lake Falcon has some that are bigger than that.

If those things hit topwater baits, B.A.S.S. would be called G.A.S.S., and BPT would be called GPT.

18. Member
    Man I’d love to go catch those things!!! Anybody on here fish for those things??? Maybe take me on a trip?!!! I’ll trade ya out for some Indiana fishing lol.
    Your not far from them...get on the wabash river down near the cayuga indiana power plant...their everywhere .......

I'm the beast, looks nothing like me....

20. Member
    Yeah those are just common long nose gar. The picture is of an alligator gar. Two completely different species. These gator gar are 4 foot long when they come out of the womb lol. Seriously though look them up on you tube. They are one bad ass fish.
    I had both as as child in my aquarium. Along with a large Oscar. He ruled the tank .. throw a dozen goldfish in he’d eat at least 8. While he rolled on them and cornered them, I always enjoyed watching the gars stealth approach. I always heard about the trinity river gars but never realized that the two species were so far apart in size and weight. I just figured it was our short growing season along with high muddy waters creating less than average feeding opportunities.i guess they are like a blue or a channel. Same only way different. Thanks for suggesting to look at them separately. Catch 5 ..then 10 more.. and slip lots of drag along your way..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast