Len Janeski

Voltage Problem duracell battery and minkota mk440

When on charge my voltage gauge reads 13.4 when i take it off charge it drops to 12.0 or lower with in a couple of minutes I had the battery load tested and they said it was a good battery

2. Member
    What do the led's on the charger do? Blinking green before you check the voltages? Where are you reading the voltages? Bob

3. Len Janeski
    the leds are blinking green and the voltage is on my ranger smart gauge on my dash board

4. Member
    If your batteries show 13.4 and as soon as the charger is turned off you go below 12 volts you have a problem with 1 or more of your batteries. You must take a reading at each battery to see where the problem is. I am assuming there is nothing still turned on while you are getting less than 12 volts. Also how old are your batteries. Bob
    I looked over you original post, what battery is your smart gauge hooked to? The starter?

5. Len Janeski
    Battery is one year old and it is the only battery hooked up to the smart gauge which is my cranking battery

6. Member
    If you can get a meter to check right at the battery and see if the reading is the same as your Smart gauge. What all is running off that battery. Finders, livewells and pumps I would think. Batteries will normally have a float voltage of 13.x if they are charged to 100% till you shut the charger down then the battery should read in the high 12's till you turn something on or after 8 hours or so should read 12.7 or so. That is if you don't have something running. If it goes to 12.0 or lower there is some kind of a problem. You should get a load test somewhere different from the last time if the battery does the same again.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If you can get a meter to check right at the battery and see if the reading is the same as your Smart gauge. What all is running off that battery. Finders, livewells and pumps I would think. Batteries will normally have a float voltage of 13.x if they are charged to 100% till you shut the charger down then the battery should read in the high 12's till you turn something on or after 8 hours or so should read 12.7 or so. That is if you don't have something running. If it goes to 12.0 or lower there is some kind of a problem. You should get a load test somewhere different from the last time if the battery does the same again.
    Yep. Before chasing a problem that isn’t real, measure at the battery terminals.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Len Janeski
    well put a fresh interstate battery in my ranger and my voltage is still dipping down below 12.0 from 13.7 when taken off charge

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V Max View Post
    well put a fresh interstate battery in my ranger and my voltage is still dipping down below 12.0 from 13.7 when taken off charge
    Measured with what and connected where?
    nothing else matters.​

10. Len Janeski
    my cranking battery voltage. measured at the smart craft gauge on the dash board

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by V Max View Post
    my cranking battery voltage. measured at the smart craft gauge on the dash board
    Measure with a meter on the battery posts.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Don't you have to have the key on to read the smart craft. If so, there is probably a load as the fuel pump energizes, or as other equipement comes no. The battery should be measured at the battery post with the key and any accessory on/off switches turned to off. Loads on the battery will show a decrease or distorted reading.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Len Janeski
    yes and that makes sense never thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Don't you have to have the key on to read the smart craft. If so, there is probably a load as the fuel pump energizes, or as other equipement comes no. The battery should be measured at the battery post with the key and any accessory on/off switches turned to off. Loads on the battery will show a decrease or distorted reading.
    John
    The "Wizard" has spoken !! ^^^^^^^ (LOLOLOLOL)
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    Still, if your battery reads below 12 volts with the key on initially, you have a problem. Since you have changed the battery, it probably is not the battery. Get a good digital volt/ohmmeter.