Some prop testing

I get too excited about fishing to do back to back prop tests like I should. I bought all props used so there is always a chance something is off the factory spec. Boat is a loaded down 215 with Ultrex, 3 Helix 12s and 2 10 foot poles with 3 group 29 batteries and 1 Group 31 X2 battery so it has a bit of weight in it. Ran from almost fuel to never below half a tank. Motor is the Merc 250 XS four stroke.

I normally run a 25 pitch Bravo that was worked by DAH so I am not 100% surte what was done with it. Bravo solo is 5800-5900 rpms and I touch 70. Overall performance is great. There is a bit of walk on the top end. This is an older bravo XS with only the 4 holes that are 1 inch and will not fit the PVS plugs. Good holeshot and the boat holds nice in turns. It lifts the stern very well.

I tried a 24 pitch Fury 3 and it just did not work for me. Turns 6000 rpms and ran 60-62 so there is a ton of slip there. I may have been too high as I want to lower my motor 1 hole on the jackplate but 3.5 inches below and it still was not working right. The prop did not feel like it lifted either the stern or the bow correctly. Boat fels dead driving and is not what I want. I don't know if there is something wrong with the prop and I am not sure what to do with it now. It looks in great shape but I have to try it on someone elses boat and make sure the prop will run their boat correct before I sell it. I won't sell something that will not work right.

This last weekend I tried a 23 tempest. Boat felt like a racecar. Much more responsive to throttle. I should have tried the 25 Bravo on the same water to get an apples to apples but I was too busy fishing and having fun. 6100 rpms easy. I am not sure if that is all I could turn it or if the limiter was holding it back. I think a 24 tempest would actually be the better solution. 68-69 mph easy and I felt like it had 70 plus but straight water was lacking. Hit 68 plus with quickly with two people and a tourney load with 3/4 or more fuel though. Main thing with the tempest is the boat felt alive. Boat runs quick and smooth through turns. Top end chine felt a bit less than the Bravo and it liked to run a bit deeper prop to pad. Slowing down before a turn and accelerating out of it (like a sportscar) was a thing and you can feel the boat accelerate out the turns. Absolutely amazing for a 21.5. Throttle down fast and the boat seems to float a bit but you get used to it. It lifted the stern enough and held the bow well. I think in a perfect world the 24 tempest worked by Mark might be the perfect combo. For now I will keep playing with the ones I have and test the Fury 3 24 pitch on a friends boat to make sure it is just a bad fit for the Falcon and not a prop problem.

What have the rest of you tried and found.

2. Member
    Come on gang... noone else uses a prop on their boat? I would think those empty propshafts would be very slow and have terrible gas mileage...

3. Member
    id love to give ya some idea on mine but I havent even been able to run it yet and we have gotten 2" of rain since yesterday so I probably wont even be able to run it this wknd either due to more rain and high winds. This sucks!
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

4. Member
    Ouch.. that does suck Frog.. it will eb worth ti when you can get out there.

5. Member
    Well I was able to use it for 2 hours saturday and a tourny sunday but we was locked in the harbor both times so could barely open er up on short run areas. Overall though it was nice. I got a TON of ego boosting compliments on it thats for sure. There's ZERO Falcon's up this way and the Blue really shines so everyone was complimenting and checking it out so that was cool. When we did launch and got to fish I only had couple hundred yard long spots where you could run and once on plane man she climbed in speed. I had full tank of fuel, 3/4 full livewells and two guys and when launching it definitely goes nose up for a second way more than the champ did but she falls right away and then its game on. You definitely have to get used to the steering because shes touchy but I like it. Hopefully this wknd I'll get her out on the lake actually or may run up too St. Clair to smash some smallies so I should be able to hammer down up there!
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

Littleluk,

For what its worth (I have 195, SHO 200). I put a 23P Fury (plugs in blowout holes) on mine. I have my prop to pad 1 1/2 inches, SHO likes to run high, I can turn lil over 6k RPM. With me by myself, I can hit 75 sometimes 76 (tourny load, over 1/2 tank of gas, no Power Poles). Livewells half full, etc. 2 people I can hit 69 to 70mph. Boat handles well, jumps out of hole, smooth ride. Water Pressure still 15-18... Just a suggestion, raise the engine a little and see how she does.

Jason Davis, MSgt, USAF, Retired

IF YOUR NOT GETTING HUNG UP, YOUR NOT FISHING WHERE THE FISH ARE!!"

2019 Falcon 195
    2019 Yamaha SHO 200 w 23P Fury
    Helix 9 DI (Bow)
    Helix 9 SI with Mega (Console)
    MK Ultrex 80lb
    NMEA 2k

7. Member
    Finally got my 205 out today with a new 23 Fury 3. My top speed went from 67 to 75. Glanced down at tach and looked like I was still only turning 5800 but it was raining, cold, eyes were tearing and the river was full of floating crap from all the rain. Felt like I had more but backed out as I didn't want to take a chance hitting anything. Ive run the boat since middle of last season with a 24 Fury 4. Leaving a BCB, I thought I was getting into a slower but better handling boat with nice holeshot. New prop shows me that I have a "as fast as a BCB" but with that Falcon on rails feeling. I could holeshot with the wheel cranked in a turn and it would leap on plane while carving a 180. Talk about a transformation.

8. Member

You are indicating a ton of slip under tour load. I would suggest a 4 blade will give more speed under tour load without giving up much light.

10. Member
    seems like once everyone gets into a 23p theyve had better over all performance out of their falcon?!?! Makes me wonder now lol