Motor Guide X5 Users? HELP!!

Is there anybody using a current Motor Guide X5 80# that is satisfied with it? And if anyone has any beefs with one that has ACTUALLY used a new
    Motor Guide, let's hear your problems. Trying to decide to go back with Motor Guide or make the leap to Minn Kota. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    My Tour MG took a dump two years ago, bought an X5 80# 24 V, Didn't like it at first, and was going to repair the Tour. after a while I began to like the X5, This year will be three years and I have no complaints with it.

3. Member
    I got an X5 to replace my tour about 2 year ago. The 1st one came in destroyed by UPS. The 2nd one came in with the bearings not set properly and the head nor tight. Our board sponsor talked me through the bearing part, and motorguide sent me a new top. It is a common problem. YOu also have to set the head for each boat. After I got all this fixed, no problems, but I keep my old tour as a backup. The tour edition was a better troller. Todays motorguides are plastic junk just like minnkota's. Unfortunately, there is no competition for trollers so we have 2 bad choices. The X5 is the only motorguide I've had problems with, and they were initial problems. Both my kota's were total junk. To me, it's just a roll of the dice if you get a good one from either brand.

4. Member
    I have been running a x5 for three years on my bass boat . Only complaint is the direction arrow never stays true . It is very quiet powerful and very easy on battery’s . It also Steers much easier than my tour I had .

5. Member
    I tried an X5 36v hand control. Not a good experience.

$1,000 PILE OF CRAP folded nicely in a box with shiny stickers.

Luckily the 2006 Great White is still rolling. Down in power but works better than that X5.
    I guess 20 years ago they knew what they were doing. Not so much now.

6. Member
    I replaced a 24V Maxxum with a 24V X5 three years ago. The X5 is a way superior motor, but of course this is comparing MG’s top of the line cable steer to MK’s not top of the line cable steer. The only problem l’ve has is with the directional arrow getting out of sync with the lower unit. It seems to happen if I stow the motor with the lower unit not in the horizontal position needed for locking into the mount. To get into the stowed position, the lower unit will spin itself into place faster than the directional arrow can keep up and it will skip a couple positions. Once you learn what direction to point the lower unit before stowing, that arrow problems go away.