New Boat Towing Questions

The opportunity has come to potentially upgrade our 1994 18' Stratos 150 Johnson to a 96 Skeeter 20' 200 Yamaha. I currently pull the Stratos with a 2014 Pilot Ex 4WD with upgraded brakes and cooler from Elizabethtown to the local lakes without any issues. The Stratos trailer does not have brakes and the Skeeter does. This upgrade would be great for deck space, but only if I can continue to comfortably pull the Skeeter with the Pilot; a new truck is out of the question with my wife expecting our first son in July. While the 2 extra feet of deck space and 50 HP on the motor would be an awesome upgrade, I do not want to put any more strain on the Honda than I need. Thoughts from anyone who has more knowledge on this than me would be appreciated.

MC

Check your owners manual for the Pilot. It should list a maximum towing capacity. At best you will have the advantage of having surge brakes on the Skeeter. That will be a big help in stopping. I'd be concerned about the ability to pull uphill. Do you do much uphill and how steep for how long. Overheating and lugging will be concerns.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Pilot has a towing capacity of 4500, and about 1600 lbs of cargo weight availability.

The skeeter fully loaded will probably be right around 4000 with trailer, maybe close to 4500. But you should only be adding 350-400 lbs tongue weight to the 1600 lbs room you have in GVWR.

You will be fine. Trailer has breaks, just make sure they work well.

4. Member
    I tow the rolling hills of Kentucky where you can generally get a good running start on the hills. None of which are considered steep grades. Thanks for the input.

5. Member
    That should have Honda’s AWD system. The Pilot is a lighter version of the Ridgeline. I can vouch for the RL not having an issue with a 20 footer on normal pulls. They have a 5000 pound rating. I wouldn’t want to take it on my annual 2000 mile round trip pull to Southern Florida with the 20’er in tow. I have pulled 20’ers all over the place with AWD 4-Runners, but they are a different animal than the Pilot. I don’t think a tow rating tells all.