Tips and tricks for youth fishing poles?

Well I am proud to say that I'm buying my son his first fishing pole. He's about to turn three years old and it's time to take him to the pond to start catching some blue gills and perch. Not sure yet whether I'm going to get the super hero pole or probably going to get one step above that, but it will definitely be a push button.

My question is, does anyone do anything to help improve the experience with these? I'm going to put better line on to reduce loops/tangles, but anything else? Anyone ever put braid on a spincast? Thinking it would help casting distance but not sure if it would be a nightmare.

Thanks for any tips you've got.

2. Member
    At 3 years old, I set my youngest up with a Dock Demon Spincast combo. You can not beat that set up IMO. Much better than the cartoon character combos. He is 6 now has a small collection of both spin cast and spinning dock demons with a different bait on each one. I have not put braid on his spincast, but i have put it on those little spinning reels for the obvious benefits. I don't think you would have an issue braid on a spincast though TBH.

3. Member
    Zebco Micro 33. It's the right size and actually functions.

I have a stack of barbie and spider man combos. All failed within the first few uses. Drag is completely useless. either locked down or free., reverse lock breaks, cap falls off, etc.

Casting distance is more limited by the rod than anything else. Those tiny rods make it really hard to cast. It's more of a toss than a cast.

4-6yr old Kids have caught trout, redfish and bass on this reel and it's held up well. Still using original line. I believe the line catcher thing is plastic and braid could cut a groove. We stick to mono.

Mono helps absorb shock too if you hook into something bigger than a brim. Fluorocarbon would be my only alternative.

Worst thing is taking the time and energy to get there and the rod/reel breaks 5 minutes in.

I see Zebco 33 micro combos on Amazon for $30. 5ft rod might seem big but kids grow fast.

Have fun, they will remember the big fish that got away.

4. Member
    Dont buy the barbie, spider man etc. Get a zeb 33 with a 5ft rod thats what i have for my daughter and her friends fir worm fishing

5. Member
    Hey, I just want to note a side topic here. I tend to be more on the sentimental side so take this for what its worth. If this also your son's 1st fish conciser keeping the hook/lure. I have one from each of my kids and made them into a rather memorable Xmas Tree Ornament that year. Just a thought - Good luck and good memories.

6. Member
    I would suggest small but good stuff. Braid can get tangled far beyond the ability of mono to tangle I'd avoid it. Push button or those that have a pinkie lever and hang below the rod might be best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zebco-Authe...wAAOSw~ZdVgGuq

or maybe

Daiwa Underspin-Xd Reel 1Bb

7. Member
    Thanks for the response all! All great ideas. I'm going to shy away from braid and just keep extra mono handy in case a loop needs to be cut out quick. I went with the Dock Demon for now but will probably get him 5 footer in a couple years.

Bassfan, Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely keep the hook and bobber setup from his first catch!

Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    Thanks for the response all! All great ideas. I'm going to shy away from braid and just keep extra mono handy in case a loop needs to be cut out quick. I went with the Dock Demon for now but will probably get him 5 footer in a couple years.

Bassfan, Thanks for the idea. I'll definitely keep the hook and bobber setup from his first catch!

Make sure you get a good picture to go with them.
    Good luck !!
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax