Passenger Rod Strap?

I have a 2006 ZX190 and the passenger rod strap/bungee broke last season. All I see is a hole in the side where the bungee came out. Do I just buy some new cord, tie a knot, and force it in there? Or is there a better way to put a new passenger rod strap in?

2. Member
    Without knowing what your's looks like specifically, I would recommend going to your nearest wal-mart and getting a mini bungee cord. I got a 100 pack for like $3 and then I secured it to the ball end of a tarp tie down on the backside so I won't pull it out. Mine is a 98 zx202c.

3. Member
    It's secured to a plastic U clamp somewhere inside, just like the 2 on your deck. You can remove the carpeted piece next to your seat and reach up under there, but I've never been able to figure out how to get to the clamp on that one. Can't tell if it's towards the front or the back of the boat. My guess is that you can get to it from the rod box somehow. Someone else will probably chime in that knows. Mine hasn't broken yet, but when I redid the front ones, I bought enough bungee cord to redo that one when it does break.

4. Member
    Mine runs from rear to front in rod storage

Figured it out in case anyone else has to fix this. I had to remove the 4 screws buried in the carpet on the passenger rod deck, then reach in the hole (while getting 100 fiberglass slivers) and feel for the bracket about 18" to the rear. I used about 3' of cord inserted through the small hole, grabbed it reaching through the big hole, then tied it to a bungee hook on both ends and adjusted the length to get it to be as tight as I thought it should be. thanks for the responses.

6. Member
    Thanks tcbass! I gotta do mine too