Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any KHSAA high school fishing coaches or anglers on BBC?

Our High School just approved a bass fishing team and has approximately 15 students interested, and 12 or so adults have offered to supply their boats and drive the kids during the tournaments. I have been approached about becoming a coach, and have no idea what I’m getting into if I say, “yes.” The KHSAA website is lacking in information I’m looking for. Can someone answer a couple of questions that has knowledge or experience, as it’s the first time in my county a team has been discussed and no one has much info about it.

2. Member
    All info you need here.
    https://highschoolfishing.org/
    RANGER BOATS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket mouth View Post
    Our High School just approved a bass fishing team and has approximately 15 students interested, and 12 or so adults have offered to supply their boats and drive the kids during the tournaments. I have been approached about becoming a coach, and have no idea what I’m getting into if I say, “yes.” The KHSAA website is lacking in information I’m looking for. Can someone answer a couple of questions that has knowledge or experience, as it’s the first time in my county a team has been discussed and no one has much info about it.
    If you already have 12 boats with boat captains with 15 students your off to a good start,

Several of the high school teams have a facebook page. I done a quick google search and used "facebook high school bass team KY" as my google search criteria and came up with with a few pages. Funny thing is TCHS (Taylor County) did not come up on my google search but I know it exist because I looked at their page earlier this afternoon. Anyways look and see if you can find a school close to you or someone you know. Reach out to the coach and ask him what it involves to be a coach.
    Last edited by JR19; 04-22-2019 at 08:30 PM.

5. Member
    From what little i have talked about with the Taylor Co. coach you take a online class and watch a 8 hour video , if you would like to talk to Jeremiah Davis the taylor co coach pm me for his cell #.

6. Member
    what school will this be ?

7. Member
    Ky. Region 3 is having the region tournament Saturday April 27 on Green River Lake at the lone valley ramp and state park . If you want to come out and see what it is all about .

Webster County/ Cody Napier
    Trigg County/ Scott Scherock
    Christian County/Darrell Lee
    Think all three of these guys get on here from time to time

Awesome info. Thank you guys for all the advice and private messages etc. It would be Edmonson County, which I think is region one. It seems like a team could be busy with a tournament about every weekend if you wanted to be!!!

10. Member
    South warren Spartans has a team. Stephen Guthrie Coach.

11. Member
    I'm the coach at Oldham County High School. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions. We just started a team a year ago, so I know what you're going through as far as questions, concerns, excitement, etc. I was very fortunate to have the coach at North Oldham mentor me and guide me through my first year. I am more than happy to help you and your team in anyway I can.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Here is what we did at South Warren. This was our first year with a team. We have 29 anglers and 15 boat captains. In order to be a boat captain for Warren Co Schools you have to go through volunteer training which consists of Adult expectations and background checks. In August we started getting sponsors so we could purchase jersey, etc. for our anglers. Each angler is required to be a member of Student Angler Federation. This gets you in FLW/TBF tournaments free, including KHSAA regionals. Our team started fishing in Sept. We have fished 13 tournament so far this year. We have a few more before we are done. We would meet about once a month to discussed topics about fishing. This is the website I created for our team: https://sites.google.com/view/swhssp...ssanglers/home you will also need to join the coaches group kyhsbf_coaches@googlegroups.com

There is no blueprint for how to make this work but this is what I did. Every weekend we had a tournament I would start on Monday asking which boat captains were available to fish the weekend. On Tuesday I would find out which anglers were available then pair them with boat captains. For the regional tournament I placed the best anglers on boats to give us the best chance to qualify for state. We just missed the cut this weekend but we have had a great season to this point. If you have any questions just give me a call my number is on the website.

Stephen Guthrie
    Head Coach South Warren High School

13. Member
    I am the coach for Carroll County, you will have a lot of fun with it and yes you will get sick of the administrative stuff if you are like me. Luckily my wife is helping me with most of that. If you have that many boats and captains then you have a jump on most of us. We only had 3 boats this year.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sguthrie View Post
    Here is what we did at South Warren. This was our first year with a team. Our team started fishing in Sept. We have fished 13 tournament so far this year. We have a few more before we are done.
    First I want to congratulate you on the launch of your first season. As an outsider looking in who really has no idea I hope your open to a suggestion and my intent is not meant to be negative but...13 tournament so far this year with a few more still to come and it's only the end of April is way too many tournaments. Most all sports that involve youth are heavily dependant on parents that run things behind the scenes to make things successful. In the case of high school bass fishing it's even more dependant than other more common sports. Hopefully the number 13 was a typo and its actually 3 instead of 13. If 13 is the correct number then you stand a good chance of burning out your best resource and that is the parents and boat captains. Hopefully I did not come off negative. My intent was to just give an open opinion from someone on the outside looking in. Again congratulations on your first season.

15. Member
    gas and time for the boat captains could be overwhelming

16. Member
    I am a captain on the team and my son is an angler. The 13 tournaments were for the school year. I think the first one was in Sept. so it's a pretty good number. All anglers and all boat captains can't be available to fish every tournament, so the more opportunities to fish the better. The coach just lets us know when there is an event and sees who wants to fish. There isn't any pressure to fish them all. Me and my son have only been able to fish 3. I would say it's been a good experience for all involved.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kimclark View Post
    gas and time for the boat captains could be overwhelming
    Hey, you are the one who beached the Bullet next to me and abandoned it

I thought about taking it for a spin

I love suggestions. The most anyone fished was me and my son. We fished 8 tournaments and he fished with 8 different partners. We had one angler fish 5 tournaments and one fish 4. Most of the others fished 1-3. What we wanted to do was provided as many opportunities as possible for kids to fish and learn the sport of bass fishing. My plan was a 20 tournament schedule that included the KHSAA regionals, KHSAA state, and HS Fishing World finals in June. Some of my kids play football, basketball, baseball and other sports so their opportunities are limited in season. So we may have one or two boats in a tournament it all depends on who is available that particular weekend. If there is a boat captain and angler available I will send them. As we all know bass fishing is expensive but we have a good plan to help our boat captains with that issue. The kids seemed to love the opportunities they have had this season as well as our boat captains. The key to succeed with this is make sure you take care of your boat captains. I can never thank them enough for what they do. Please keep the suggestions coming. I want to help as many kids as I can get out of the house and experience the great outdoors.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Hey, you are the one who beached the Bullet next to me and abandoned it

I thought about taking it for a spin
    lol were you in the silver one ?.

20. Member
    We only participated in 5 tournaments this year and definitely think my anglers could have handled a lot more. Maybe not 13, but definitely more than 5. I will agree that you need to be careful burning out your boat captains...especially those who do not have students on the team. You'll need them for years to come.

I'm still looking at all the various tournament series out there for HS and will get my guys in a few more tourneys next year. One thing that I've found out that I kinda knew going in, you'll spend WAY more than you make as a coach!! Might have to get a third job so I can keep coaching!
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast