Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Babe Ruth is getting Ripped off > Pujols.

Albert Pujols over takes Babe Ruth for 5th all-time in RBI's on Sunday. The Problem is Major League Baseball only made RBI's a Official statistic in 1920. Babe Ruth started his career in 1914 and he led the Majors in Home Runs in 1918 with 11HRs and in 1919 with 29 HRs. I don't know any other stats on The Babe except these stats. So The Babe doesn't get credit for his first 6 years of RBI's. I thought a few of you baseball fans might not have known this story.

2. Member
    And Pujols is a reported to have been a heavy steroid user in the past. No proof, just speculation and statements from old teammates.

Babe Ruth will always be better than Pujols regardless of what numbers say.

4. Member
    Some of Ruth records have fallen over the year but he is still the greatest player off all time.

5. Member
    Someone has to help Pujols. 1) zero positive test for steroids and 95+% of his career has been in testing era. 2) Ruth never faced pitching day in and day out like Pujols has. Not knocking Ruth at all, but if Pujols didn't start having so many foot issues, he had legit shot of breaking most batting records and had a realistic chance of being one of top 5 ever.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Someone has to help Pujols. 1) zero positive test for steroids and 95+% of his career has been in testing era. 2) Ruth never faced pitching day in and day out like Pujols has. Not knocking Ruth at all, but if Pujols didn't start having so many foot issues, he had legit shot of breaking most batting records and had a realistic chance of being one of top 5 ever.
    That and the shift.

7. Member
    you should ask Babe Ruth if he cares....

8. Member
    Different eras. Both great players but I would give the nod to Ruth.

Personal opinion is that Cobb was the best of all time. Again, different era but when you look at his stats and read what was said of him by his opponents and the writers of the day it is hard to fathom. People would go to the ballpark in droves just to see what he was going to do that day.

9. Member
    We also forget they play a lot more games a year now then back then. I think it was like 140 games before 1920 and 154 after that till 1961 then it went to 162. Think of how many years the Babe only played 140 games a year during his prime.

For me the Babe is the greatest. What would the babes record be if during his prime he played in 162 games instead of 140 games a year. There were a lot of great pichers back then to. MAybe not has many but you can believe the Babe always got the best the other team had to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Hard to compare eras in any sport. Sure pitchers are better now and hitters have more advantages now as well. The strike zone is the size of a dinner plate now, anything above mid thigh is a ball. They have tons of video to study on themselves and their opponents. I think I remember reading a stat that Ruth had more homeruns than entire teams a couple years in his career, that’s an amazing stat in itself. Players are defined on how they compared to other players in their era. No doubt Pujols is one of the best and at one time he was without a doubt the best hitter in his era. Ruth changed the game, Pujlos just happens to be a great player in his era that’s all. Mike Trout on the other hand is a really special player, I think if he plays another 10 years at the level he is playing, I believe he will be regarded as one the top 5 players to ever play the game.

11. Member
    As stated, it is hard to compare players from eras. The earlier players rode trains and buses, lots of things were different. No training as we have today. Buck O'Neill gave a pretty good description of Ruth. He dominated the best there was in the game at the time he played. Gets my vote

12. Banned
    Babe Ruth is 2nd in RBI's with 2200 and Lou Gehrig is 5th with 19xx. Did every Sportscaster in America make a mistake..Can anyone explain why they are Saying Pujols passed Babe Ruth instead of Gehrig?

13. Banned
    Bryce Harper will pass them all eventually .....lol

Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    Bryce Harper will pass them all eventually .....lol
    No way

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako231 View Post
    And Pujols is a reported to have been a heavy steroid user in the past. No proof, just speculation and statements from old teammates.
    Whatever you say!

16. Member
    Pujols wouldn't have been allowed to play MLB baseball in Ruth's era. Same for Aaron, Mays, Paige and countless other MLB stars post 1947. So it is kinda hard to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by ardenbass View Post
    Pujols wouldn't have been allowed to play MLB baseball in Ruth's era. Same for Aaron, Mays, Paige and countless other MLB stars post 1947. So it is kinda hard to compare.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Castro
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

18. Member
    I love the game of baseball. Everything T-ball to the Pros.

The organization of MLB, not so much.

For an interesting perspective go to Netflix and watch “The Battered Bastards of Baseball”. It’s a true documentary of professional baseball and shows how MLB could break a steel ball.

If you are any type of baseball fan you will enjoy it.

19. Banned
    Ted Williams story on Netflix now was very interesting and expressed Ted's drive and life in a classy manner. He took 5 years off and came back and hit 400. He would hit till his hands bled. Ted and Joe Damaggio rivalry.

20. Member
    I've seen Pujols play in person 3 or 4 times and have enjoyed following his career. He is the real deal but now is just playing out the string. I never saw the Babe play but I sometimes wonder how much is folklore.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast