Question on carpeting

on my boat the carpet is shot and it needs replaced so I have made that one priority to get done here soon.
    with that said a couple of questions I have

on the edges of the carpet how do you cut the carpet to keep it from fraying? is there something that can be used or what. on my being a Bass Cat and some might be the same it has a lip in the fiberglass on the front that the carpet mates up to and the old carpet it seems to be frayed somewhat. granted that could just be from the carpet being old and shot but is there some way to make the edges look good?

and the other question I have is on padding for the front. mine dosent have a huge area in front of the front locker but would like to put padding down here. what do you all use for padding and where do you get it at?

Back when I was in the business, the layers used a latex edge dressing that was in a bottle with a cap that was made to run along the edge of the carpet backing. Marine carpet doesn't use a latex binder if I remember correctly. If it were me, I would dress the edges with some clear silicone. There are also vinyl or rubber edge moldings that may be available at a carpet store. Whether or not they would look right on your boat or not is another question.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    I used Syntec carpet and have had not problem with fraying on the edges. The backing makes the difference.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ct0218 View Post
    I used Syntec carpet and have had not problem with fraying on the edges. The backing makes the difference.
    yup what he said

Carpet I am going to get is right from Bass Cat

From what I understand, Basscat has some of the best carpet in the boat business, and will likely not fray. That being said, if you ever do get an edge that starts to loose fibers what I have done in the past is take a hot soldering gun and run it along the crease between the carpet and whatever it butts up against. This will stop any fraying the same as using a lighter to seal the end of a nylon rope (I believe most marine carpets are nylon, which is why the same logic applies here). The soldering iron singes the carpet, which was not noticeable on my charcoal carpet but may stand out on other colors. Again, I would not worry about it unless you do get a spot that wants to fray on down the road, then a simple pass with a hot soldering iron or gun will remedy your runner.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

You all do realize that Bass Cat or Ranger does NOT make carpet...they buy it from a carpet mill probably in Dalton GA. Those same mills sell carpet to every carpet store in the country. Having been in the carpet business and although marine carpet wasn't a big part of our business, we did have samples and the know how and access to anything any of the boat manufacturers have.

I'm not trying to be a know it all here, I just think it would be easier and probably cheaper to go to a local carpet store and ask about boat or marine grade carpet. I'm sure they would be happy to help you find what you want, assist you in how much you need, what adhesive and trowel to use and stand behind it if you have a problem.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Bass boat seats .com great service quick shipping and great prices

9. Member
    Any of you guys ever replace your carpet with SeaDek.? Im considering it if it is durable enough and not cost prohibitive. It loos like they have the colos I like to match my boats color scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by MoStratos View Post
    Any of you guys ever replace your carpet with SeaDek.? Im considering it if it is durable enough and not cost prohibitive. It loos like they have the colos I like to match my boats color scheme.
    I had actually thought of this exact same thing for just the floor of my boat but know nothing about it at all

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtracer View Post
    Bass boat seats .com great service quick shipping and great prices
    and the worst carpet for the money out there, bass cat and Ranger use syntec best marine carpet made.

12. Member
    For the edges look up boat carpet edging, looks great and is pretty cheap sold in rolls