HELP HELP----Which Power-Plant for a 4 to 8 year old rig.

Guys, Like I have said before, I have been out of the big glass bass boat business for the last 25 years, raising kids, One went thru Pharmacy schhool, graduates in mid April, thank the good Lord. Anyway, I am going to buy me a 20' rig by the end of the year. WIf you guys were buying a used boat which Motors would you stay away from and the years. I see adds and all seem to have new powerheads in the 80's I just do not remeber having that much trouble. I am going to buy a 20' rig Bullet, Skeeter, Ranger, Pheonix, Bass Cat etc. 2010 to 2017 year models. WHAT MOTORS DO IN NEED TO BE CAREFUL OFf, I know it is a crap shoot in a way. There is a lot of documentation on say Yammy powerheads, I have always run Merc and Yammy, I just want to do all I can to pick a good reliable engine. Thanks Guys, David

They're all ticking time bombs, just look at the motor forums, plenty of blown powerheads and various problems with all of them. Good luck with your boat search and welcome back to the expensive world of boating lol.

3. Banned
    You best bet would be to spend a little more cash and pick up a rig that's 2-3 yrs old ans still has a healthy transferable motor warranty. That way you have a little peace of mind a cushion knowing your 2-3 yr old rig still has 2-3 yrs of warrant left.

I would be just as concerned if an 80's model year engine still had the original power head.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

5. Member
    I bought my first glass boat with a Ficht outboard. At the time I didn't realize they had no resale value.

6. Member
    I would look for a Yamaha that had an extended YES warranty anything 2014 and up. A Skeeter zx225 with a 225 hp Yamaha SHO is a great package to look at.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    You best bet would be to spend a little more cash and pick up a rig that's 2-3 yrs old ans still has a healthy transferable motor warranty. That way you have a little peace of mind a cushion knowing your 2-3 yr old rig still has 2-3 yrs of warrant left.
    Healthy advice. Or, at least one with a motor that is coming to an end of factory warranty, but, is extendable.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S