Thread: Added weight

Added weight

I did a tune-up last month and finally got on the water. I filled the tank and went to the lake. I notice a loss of 200rpm and 5-6mph on the top end. I normally don't run a full tank of gas. Would running a full tank of gas have that much effect on performance?

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    It's possible, how big is the tank, motor, boat etc.

4. Member
    2012 19se with a mercury 200 ProXs. 46 gallon tank

5. Member
    Most definitely. I usually only run 5-10 gallons of gas (depending on where I'm going) and when I fill her all the way up I max out at about 63-65. By myself with a quarter tank I can get her up to 70-72
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter3 View Post
    I did a tune-up last month and finally got on the water. I filled the tank and went to the lake. I notice a loss of 200rpm and 5-6mph on the top end. I normally don't run a full tank of gas. Would running a full tank of gas have that much effect on performance?
    When you did a tune up did you replace the spark plugs? If so did you gap them to their specs? I had a similar issue once.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    When you did a tune up did you replace the spark plugs? If so did you gap them to their specs? I had a similar issue once.
    Yes, I replaced the spark plugs and gapped to specs. What was your similar issue and resolution?

I lost RPMs and speed After I got my boat back from a shop After it was rear ended. I chalked it up To bad prop work. Never could get it right again so I just dropped a pitch in prop. Well I this past service my regular mechanic did my tune up and the shop that did my boat repair before put my spark plug in crooked and wasnt getting full spark. So a new head later And 6 spark plugs my boat runs as smooth as I did before the collision

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke