Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Bass fishing is sensitive to gasoline prices

That's how a Wall Street analyst would describe the relationship, same as airline stocks are sensitive to oil prices, one goes up, the other goes down.

And ya better hang on to your hats, cuz there's a storm brewing.

Trump administration is threatening to get tough on Iran sanctions, they want to completely take Iran oil off global market. That's about 1.5 to 2 million bbl per day.

Sauds can make this up, if they want to. But even if they do, we get back to the days pre 2012, where there is no spare capacity. So everytime there's some geopolitical dust up, the price of oil spikes because no producer can bring any more oil to the market to replace a disruption.

And to further complicate, OPEC meets again in June to review their current quotas, that could be an interesting meeting as Saudis will have lost their leverage.

Get ready to pay more at the pump, IDK how much , or how soon, and hopefully this won't last long. But to me, it does not look good. Hopefully, USA will begin putting more oil on market from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, we really no longer need that, anyway.

2. Banned
    Won't make any difference. Guys will spend the money on gas. Heck look at everyone paying 5.00 for a 12 oz. cup of coffee with flavor. 2011-2013 gas was 3.50 per gallon. Didn't slow anyone down then. It will make electric cars popular again.

3. Member
    “The Colder War” was an interesting read.

4. Member
    I'd say nearly everthing is sensitive to oil and gas prices...oil does make the world go round so to speak

And I'd prefer we not touch the strategic reserve...the time may once again come where we need to have that...history repeats itself...always has
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

5. Banned
    I would not make any long term decisions, based upon this.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabassco View Post
    Get ready to pay more at the pump, IDK how much , or how soon, and hopefully this won't last long. But to me, it does not look good.
    Have you ever entertained the idea of being an analyst on television ? That sounded great.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    I'd say nearly everthing is sensitive to oil and gas prices...oil does make the world go round so to speak
    Yes, but some sectors are far more sensitive, than others. There's been plenty of evidence that tourny participation varies greatly with gasoline prices.

Bass fishermen use large amounts of gasoline, not only in the outboard but in the tow vehicle also.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    Have you ever entertained the idea of being an analyst on television ? That sounded great.
    No, I only follow this to look out for myself.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabassco View Post
    Yes, but some sectors are far more sensitive, than others. There's been plenty of evidence that tourny participation varies greatly with gasoline prices.

Bass fishermen use large amounts of gasoline, not only in the outboard but in the tow vehicle also.
    The winter/spring of 2008 was a killer on the tourist, camping and boating industry in part because of the high fuel prices. People seem to forget really fast when times are good.

10. Banned
    Oh what a shock, someone will have an excuse to raise the price of oil, that’s a first.

11. Banned
    The winter/spring of 2008 was a killer on the tourist, camping and boating industry in part because of the high fuel prices. People seem to forget really fast when times are good.

And tourny participation took a huge jump up, when gasoline prices fell in 2014.

Right now, the price we pay at the pump will be determined by Saudi Arabia. They can replace Iran's oil. They were prepared to do this last fall when the original Iran sanctions went into affect Nov 1 . They had ramped up production to do so. Then , at the last minute, Trump admin granted waivers to six of Iran's largest customers. This undercut the Sauds and sent oil prices falling, and its the reason we've had cheap gasoline prices over the winter.

Lots of angles for the Sauds. They hate Iran and will enjoy the sanctions. They would like a larger market share. But they also would like a higher oil price. And they might have trouble with the Russians and the rest of OPEC, in trying to keep production quotas in place.

Very complicated position for the Sauds.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Oh what a shock, someone will have an excuse to raise the price of oil, that’s a first.
    Whatever blows your skirt up.

13. Banned
    We shouldnt get ready to pay more at the pump because we are already paying more. look at the jump in oil prices in just the last month.

14. Banned
    We shouldnt get ready to pay more at the pump because we are already paying more. look at the jump in oil prices in just the last month.
    That was due to working off the glut created last fall. The price was just returning to more normal levels. And , its refinery turnaround season , a time when gasoline prices disconnect from oil.

Without these hard sanctions, we were looking at cheaper gasoline prices for the summer.

Evidently, Trump admin does not think things are going well with Iran, and they need to put the hammer to them.

15. Member
    Gas needs to go up to $7/ gallon for a few months. I want a new truck. :D

Quote Originally Posted by BP41 View Post
    Gas needs to go up to $7/ gallon for a few months. I want a new truck. :D
    A whole whopping 2 million people of the whole US work force want higher gas prices to buy things 😂

17. Member
    US shale producers can react and spool up faster than years ago before fracking. Hopefully they can pick up the slack and soften the blow.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    A whole whopping 2 million people of the whole US work force want higher gas prices to buy things 
    When oil price crashed in 2014 ( partly due to removal of Iran sanctions, btw ) many on Wall Street were expecting a big stimulus to the economy. None occurred. Many studies were done afterward, and the general consensus is that the economic loss offset the gain.

This is largely due to the US now being the world's largest energy producer when combining both oil and natural gas. Our economy reflects that.

But I read BP41, looking for a drop in demand in trucks, which would lower the price of a new truck.

I don't see this lasting that long, maybe 6 months or so. What happens, is when the price of WTI gets over $70, other sources of oil become economically feasible, such as offshore Gulf of Mexico and Canadian tar sand oil. But it can't be ramped up on a moments notice, it takes some time.

20. Member
    One complication, is Venezuela is pretty much offline these days also. If Iran attempts to block the Straits of Hormuz, it could bump up to another level also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast