Echomap Plus 73SV issues

Hi all, I purchased an Echomap Plus SV last year but was only able to take the boat out a few times. When I took it out this year, I began having issues with what I assume is noise? The main thing that stood out to me was the area that should be black on the sidevu is often cloudy. This seems to be intermittent, but I can’t find a correlation to boat speed, motor running, electronics on, etc. I’ve inspected the transducer and it’s clean and hasn’t been damaged. I also haven’t changed any settings.

I realize the boat the boat isn’t moving in the clear picture, but it remained clear when trolling during this time period. Then it later went back to the cloudy image. I also notice that it often has noise on 2D a few feet down when the issue occurs.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8D794988-03CF-428C-99B4-7AC1E889480A.jpegE6AC400A-A54F-4F4F-BE97-366459CB88B3.jpegE1165FF3-0B28-4526-87FC-FD9A0C715F7B.jpeg3486C1BA-F115-4015-8DAB-D93C5271B579.jpeg20498832-3634-4EC8-B698-AF6BFA83F082.jpeg

2. Member
    Those are brightness and contrast issues. The default settings are sometimes off the mark. When you see this it only takes a few seconds to correct it. Start with turning brightness down. That's usually the culprit. It's too high in all these shots.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I apologize for the dumb questions, but I’m new to this. Why would it change so drastically without me making any adjustments? Sometimes it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by dfg138 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I apologize for the dumb questions, but I’m new to this. Why would it change so drastically without me making any adjustments? Sometimes it looks great.
    At times, suspended particulates can cause what you are seeing. For example, here in SE TX our pine pollen was extremely bad for around a week a month or so ago, and my SideVu often looked like your screenshots.
    Garmin Pro Team

5. Member
    When on Auto the management of the brightness changes based on some internal algorithm. This algorithm does a good job about half the time. If you run SideVu a lot I think you'll find that you have to use manual settings and set it yourself.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    At times, suspended particulates can cause what you are seeing. For example, here in SE TX our pine pollen was extremely bad for around a week a month or so ago, and my SideVu often looked like your screenshots.
    I was wondering if that may be it. Pollen is crazy right now.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    When on Auto the management of the brightness changes based on some internal algorithm. This algorithm does a good job about half the time. If you run SideVu a lot I think you'll find that you have to use manual settings and set it yourself.
    Makes sense. Thank you!