90 P2 rear seat post issue....

So I noticed today that my rear seat post has dropped down about 1/4 below the carpet. So looked at the bottom where it's mounted on the bottom of the boat. Looks like it's broke the seat post base. So my question is what can I do to fix it? Got a week long trip coming up end of the week. Can I cut the plastic insert out and then buy a metal screw in base and mount it there? Or any other suggestions??

Those were in the pad area and sometimes staff would raise them with coated plywood to space the pipe to deck height. There could be several things causing it and any of those could be within a good long weekend with some dedicated ability. Strip it out and figure out what’s causing the elevation change, then patch’er up!

3. Member
    Well I kinda started poking around and it looks like there is a 3x3 metal plate welded on the bottom of the seat post pipe. It was then incased in fiberglass. The welded 3x3 metal plate is sitting on the bottom of the boat in the pad area. It's not sitting on top of the fliberglassed in piece. Does this seem right?

No, there is a board under it between the ad and top of the board glasses in. Then the aluminum is encased in fiberglass.

5. Member
    Then the board that's under the metal plate must not have been very thick in the first place..cause when you pull up on the post it only moves 1/4 inch before hitting the incased fiberglass...

6. Member
    Just too add..the post is still in the deck ..it hasn't fallen down that far..nor can I push it down enough to get it out of that deck

7. Member
    What a coincidence. Ihave a 1990 P2 that I bought new (Nearly 30 years old – no regrets). I noticed the same thing after returning fromLake Sam Rayburn in March 2019. I wasplanning on calling BassCat to understand what was on the bottom end of thesupport post. I believe what has happenon mine, the board under the base plate has deteriorated (bilge water soakingin I guess) and allowed the post to drop down about ¼” or 3/8”. The bilge pump float switch is screwed down nearthe post and I am guessing the screw holes were the water entrance point. I would be interested in your fix. I am 81 years old – I may do nothing – only usethe boat two or three times per year. However, doing nothing will allow bilge waterto collect here and not drain away. Call meat 281-461-7649 if you want to discuss more details.

8. Member
    Exactly the same thing that I believe has happened to mine. Guess it's time to cut out that board and reglass in a new one or maybe replace with a 1/4 piece of aluminum..