Rigging For Super Flukes

Hope this is the correct section for my following question(s). I haven't fished Super Flukes in the past willl begin since the shad spawn is about to happen. What size and action rod do I use to skip them under docks and bushes? Also, does anybody use a weighted hook or just fish them weighless? Finally, what size line do folks use.

Thanks in advance!

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Weightless on a 7' med heavy and 12 # mono

Weightless, on either wire hook for slow sink rate or Trokar for fast, 12 pound Big Game or 10 pound Suffix Green. 7 Ft 3 in Rod (Fitzgerald Stunner) for the 12 or a Dobyns for the 10.

Spanky

5. Member
    7 ft spinning rod MH w. fast tip & large spool reel loaded with 15# braid main line and co-poly or flouro 12# leader. 3/0 wide gap light-wire hook usually weightless in a White Pearl Super Fluke.

6. Member
    I fish them weightless on 6ft6in med hvy casting set up. 3/0 Trokar worm hook and a swivel about 12 to 18in above hook to prevent line twist. But if your skipping it you may not want to use the swivel. Also dnt rule out the double fluke rig. And i use 14 or 15lb mono.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

7. Scraps
    your spinnerbait rod.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    I generally use the same rod I jerk bait with MXF 6'6", ten pound fluorocarbon with from a 4/0 light wire worm hook, up to a 6/0 Gamagatsu Monster depending on how deep I want to work it. A straight fluke doesn't twist your line bad at all.

4/0 Gammi wide gap..weightless..15lb invisx..Fastest reel you own..NRX 893...dead sticked.

10. Member
    Lots of different ways. I use an 8' rod with 20 lb line. It's a reaction bite so line doesn't matter. I throw both weighted and unweighted. I also throw a double fluke rig a lot.

I throw them on a long (7'6") MH spinning rod with high vis braid and a 12-16lb fluoro leader (depending on cover) almost always. Sounds crazy at first, I know, but I can cast them further with a spinning rod than a casting rod. Long casts are often key for getting bites on them in my experience.

The high vis braid is a big deal because fluke bites are almost always like a Senko bite in that the bait just goes off swimming without any discernible "thud," and the braid combined with the backbone of a heavier spinning rod makes hook sets a non-issue even on long casts. Flukes are actually what got me started on high-vis braid. I had it spooled up to try, ended up trying it on a fluke, and was absolutely blown away at the extra fish I caught by being able to more easily line watch instead of having to rely on feel. The number of fish that must have been dropping the bait when they felt me was eye opening. Braid in general also helps to eat up the line twist you end up with if you don't get it rigged perfectly straight. I do go to a casting rod if I'm fishing dirtier water and/or precision casting is more important.

A weighted hook I only do if I need to get it down deeper, for me that's usually earlier in the spring when the vegetation hasn't grown near the surface yet. For fishing around docks I never use a weighted hook. To be fair, the docks around here are almost always very shallow, so I suppose I should say I'd never use a weighted hook around docks unless they have a lot of depth on them. 5/0 Gamakatsu Superline EWG is my hook of choice for them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Owner centering pin screw, then nose hooked with a wide-gap wacky style hook. Took this tip from tactical bassin and the first time out the fish just punished the fluke. More bites, better hook ups, more time fishing and less time re-rigging baits.

High vis braid tied to mono or fluoro leader.

13. Member
    3/0 thin wire hook and a med/hvy falcon with 15lb flouro for super flukes. You can step up the hook for different fall rates but I stay with the thin wire for hook up purposes. Using a spinning rod would help a lot for trying to skip such a light bait though

14. Member
    Thanks guys!

You can also just nose hook them with a small (1/0 or 2/0) drop shot hook. Let it fall, some twitches etc... good in small mouth waters.

16. Member
    7ft 4 medium heavy casting rod with a 7:3 reel. 40lb braid to a 12 or 15lb flouro leader and a 4 or 5/0 owner cutting point ewg.

17. Member
    Check out a Gamakatsu Skip Gap hook...great for skipping. 7+ med casting with 20# braid and a leader if ya like

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

18. Member
    I skip em a lot on both Baitcast and Spinning rigs. Best results and action just nose hook it like a live shiner. Great action and no pullin down on the hook, It will always run good. 2o&30 wide gaps is what I use.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

Usually use a spinning reel. 3/0 Gamakatsu hook. 14 Lb. Weightless. I'll throw it occasionally on a baitcaster rig, but prefer the spinning.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M1RT View Post
    Owner centering pin screw, then nose hooked with a wide-gap wacky style hook. Took this tip from tactical bassin and the first time out the fish just punished the fluke. More bites, better hook ups, more time fishing and less time re-rigging baits.

High vis braid tied to mono or fluoro leader.
    my method as well. Better action and hookups vs the EWG.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431