Stripped lower unit drain plug Johnson fast strike

I have a 96 Johnson fast strike 150hp. It seems to be that I stripped my upper lower unit drain plug hole. I’m assuming by over tightening it when I changed the oil in the fall before storage. Any ideas how I can fix it? I was thinking retap it. But not sure if I can go bigger? Or maybe taking it to a machine shop and getting a helicoil put in? If you have any machine shop recommendations in the western wi, or Minneapolis St. Paul area let me know. Thanks!

Go to Home Depot or any good hardware store and get a 3/8 x 16 x 3/4 Cap screw. There are enough threads beyond the stripped ones for the cap screw to screw into. The seal will fit but you will not have the magnet on it. The other magnet will work for any filings and chunks.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Member
    i did put HALF of a helicoil in one lower once and it held really good , way stronger than original but i emptied it first to clean the shavings .

4. Member
    Danrude's advice is a good repair. I've done it.

5. Member
    Danrude, I looked and there is only about 1 thread left. I’m super happy I noticed this before it let loose and I ran her dry. I’m going to try a helicoil my buddy who is a mechanic says he’s really good at stripping stuff which inevitably makes him good at fixing stripped threads! Ha