Anyone make there own crankbaits

I have a question about lip placement. I have a few that I need to cut the lips and install.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

2. Member
    i throwed the same question out there and best guidance is to look at a crank that gets to the depth you want and match that angle

Ok these are Bagleys baits. I have a older bagleys I can use to match. I really like to see if I can use a circuit board lip on a few also.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

4. Member
    I use a dremel tool. I use one blade for circuit board lip. I use 2 blades back to back for lexan lip. I eyeball and do mine by hand. You can create a "jig" to hold the bait in place and cut same cut everytime if you want.

5. Member
    That's the cool thing about custom builds is there are so many variables. Lip placement, line tie point, ballast placement, etc all effect the action and any minor variation creates an effect on the other. That's why the good custom builders can get top dollar is because they have put in countless hours to get pinpoint these variables. I'd start with one you want to mimic, build a jig and use a stationary cutting means so each cut is repetitive.

I make my own custom crankbaits. I use a jig to keep lip location and angle the same on my lures. I use a scroll saw for cutting the lip slot.

If you are only cutting a few slots I would use a rubber band around the bait to create a guide to follow, then cut by hand. The rubber band will allow you to adjust location until you are happy with it before you cut the lip slot.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

7. Member
    Anyone willing to post some Pics of there lip slot jig?

I don't have any pics of mine on hand but i will take a couple next time I'm in my shop and remember to.

All I did was make a cavity for the lure to sit in while I cut the slot with my scroll saw.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive