SHO 175 vs SHO 200 for Xpress X19

I just made a long post in the lounge. I'm boat shopping. My local dealer (that I like) sells Xpress boats so they're the early leader in the clubhouse. I like the idea of a pad style aluminum.

It looks like most of the x19's that dealers stock have I4 175 motors vs the max rated v6 200. It's my understanding that the 200 costs about $3500 more. My question: Is there $3500 worth a difference between the two? I know that it's subjective but I'm looking for opinions because I really don't know. Obviously there should be a performance edge in getting the max HP for the hull but is it a razor margin or a big leap? Are there inherent benefits (i.e. reliability, cruising speed, resale, maintenance) to the big block v6 vs the inline 4?

Thanks

2. Member
    Wasn’t worth it to me. The i4 doesn’t make oil like the v6 model. I see low 60s with the 175. Guys with the 200s are seeing upper 60s. The 200 can be flashed all the way up to 300hp and the 175 can be flashed to 200. The 175 sho uses the same block as the f200 which is legendary in reliability. I purchased used and fell into a great deal. When I was shopping for a new one the cost difference was only 1800 from a 175-200 through the dealer I was using.

i wouldn’t trade my 175 honestly. Plenty of power, maintenance is cheap and easy and it’s super reliable.
    2017 x19 175 sho

3. Member
    If your satisfied with the low 60's go with the 175. If you have to fly.....go with the 200.

That 175 SHO is a great engine. It's a bit lighter than the 200 as well. Plus, the big black Yamaha's just look massive on a boat that size. You'd be happy with both, but the 175 is a great engine.

We ranked it the best of the mid range engines on the market.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2019...-lean-and-mean

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    That 175 SHO is a great engine. It's a bit lighter than the 200 as well. Plus, the big black Yamaha's just look massive on a boat that size. You'd be happy with both, but the 175 is a great engine.

We ranked it the best of the mid range engines on the market.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2019...-lean-and-mean
    Nice write up but article is incorrect, the Yamaha 150 SHO has 2.00:1 gearing while the 175 gets the 1.86:1, they are not the same.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Still weighing lots of options but it looks like 175 is the ticket if I get an x19.

Didn’t consider shallow water pickups until reading that write up. I plan on getting a hydraulic jack plate for skinny/stumpy/rocky water. Would the lack of shallow water pickup matter to me in that case? I’ve never used a hydraulic jack plate.

Quote Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
    Nice write up but article is incorrect, the Yamaha 150 SHO has 2.00:1 gearing while the 175 gets the 1.86:1, they are not the same.
    Thank you. Good catch, I just assumed it was the same. That's another benefit for the 175.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Still weighing lots of options but it looks like 175 is the ticket if I get an x19.

Didn’t consider shallow water pickups until reading that write up. I plan on getting a hydraulic jack plate for skinny/stumpy/rocky water. Would the lack of shallow water pickup matter to me in that case? I’ve never used a hydraulic jack plate.
    You should be okay on that boat. Just watch your water pressure gauge when the engine is lifted high, and running fast.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    Wasn’t worth it to me. The i4 doesn’t make oil like the v6 model. I see low 60s with the 175. Guys with the 200s are seeing upper 60s. The 200 can be flashed all the way up to 300hp and the 175 can be flashed to 200. The 175 sho uses the same block as the f200 which is legendary in reliability. I purchased used and fell into a great deal. When I was shopping for a new one the cost difference was only 1800 from a 175-200 through the dealer I was using.

i wouldn’t trade my 175 honestly. Plenty of power, maintenance is cheap and easy and it’s super reliable.
    The i4's do make oil. I have had mine 4 years and it is still making oil. I went with the 175 because of weight. I was a afraid the 200 would have the rear sitting deeper and bow riding high when fishing.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

10. Member
    Any 4 Stroke will "make" oil if not broken in correctly. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    The i4's do make oil. I have had mine 4 years and it is still making oil. I went with the 175 because of weight. I was a afraid the 200 would have the rear sitting deeper and bow riding high when fishing.
    Break it in correctly and it wont. as mentioned any 4 stroke will make oil if not broken in properly and idled around all day graphing. The 175 i4 doesn’t have the reputation as compared to 200v6 and higher block shos. It’s a known common problem on the 200s and larger, not so much on the 175s and smaller. If I had to guess prolly due to injector rates on a i4 vs v6 and the fuel mappings. Look up any of f series Yamaha making oil, it’s just not as common as the bigger shos.
    2017 x19 175 sho

12. Member
    Thanks again. I'm ordering an X19 with the 175. Hope to have it in a couple of months.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I am in the same dilemma but considering the F200LB vs the 175 SHO. What is the pro/cons of the F200 over the SHO 175...If any?

14. Member
    I can't offer much in the way of facts or stats. Obviously the SHO is marketed as the "hotter" motor and preferred for bass boat applications and the F series is a more all around general purpose outboard. Of course, they both use the 2.8 I4 block while the 200 SHO is part of the V6 family. Maybe someone here can offer some real world experience. The performance bulletins on the Yamaha site might be of help.

Finlander, is there much of a price difference between the two? Are you looking new or used?

15. Member
    Wave to Wave noted a few differences in the article linked above.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ut...-comparison?E4

The only difference I see in the Yamaha comparison tool is a 7 pounds of extra weight on the f200.
    Last edited by ajw18; 05-22-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Yes, I am seeing the same difference. I would already expect the SHO to be the stronger of the two but it seems, per the performance sheets, that the 200 has a slight edge.

Looking new but the price difference favors going all the way to the v6.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    Break it in correctly and it wont. as mentioned any 4 stroke will make oil if not broken in properly and idled around all day graphing. The 175 i4 doesn’t have the reputation as compared to 200v6 and higher block shos. It’s a known common problem on the 200s and larger, not so much on the 175s and smaller. If I had to guess prolly due to injector rates on a i4 vs v6 and the fuel mappings. Look up any of f series Yamaha making oil, it’s just not as common as the bigger shos.
    It will make oil even if broken in “correctly”. The key to not making oil is being propped correctly. A sho needs to be able turn at least 5800 rpm wot. If it can’t it will make oil. My sho made oil until I put a prop on that I could spin to at least 5800 rpm. This is a problem with the x19s with a 175 because Xpress puts a 23p powertech ofx on at the factory. Most guys say they can’t turn more than 5300 with that prop.