Question Waypointing a Spawning Bed or other bank object

When you see a bed or any other object that you plan to cast to in the future and want to mark, do most mark their CURRENT boat position from where they would cast? Or do they go up within inches of object and then press mark button? What about using arrow buttons and moving cursor to about where they're looking at object and mark? I was watching some of the FLW tour highlights where they were talking of marking beds and was wondering how they do that process. If you just marked your boat position there would still be an infinite amount of angles and distances of casts to where the bed/object could possibly be unless you just had an amazing memory of each individual instance.

2. Scraps
    I'm curious. Maybe mark 'em in side image or just slide the crosshairs away from the boat before marking the spot to get closer to the bed. I remember Lefebre talking about this in an MLF event.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Put the cursor on the bed and mark it. When you go to fish the marked bed pull up a cast away from mark and make your cast.

Just go ol school and mark the bed on the bank behind the bed with a small wad of toilet paper...not really littering. It’ll breakdown in a few days.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    That's great if you see the bed on side imaging. I don't have SI at trolling motor. I do have a GPS unit up front.

So I see the bed with my eyes while standing on my trolling motor. Let's say for this particular example I'm guessing I'm 35 feet from it. Let's say this one happens to be 35 feet perpendicular to the bow of my boat. Then the next bed or object I want to mark happens to be 25 feet straight ahead the front of boat when I see it. How do I accurately mark it? I read and watch videos where they mark HUNDREDS of spots and just go back and catch them remembering where each bed/object was sitting.

There is some detail or trick I'm missing.
    I do know how to use the arrow keys (I have Humminbirds) to move cursor to object and press mark buttons. I have marked bluegill beds before when there are lots of them and it's obvious craters on the bottom. But this is different.

6. Member
    It does take a great memory. But, it is a lot easier than you think. Especially on a body of water that you are familiar with. Here is one shortcut. If your prevailing winds will be from the west. Always mark the boat position downwind of the bed. This will keep you from running over the bed.
    The other thing that I do is take a notebook. Write the gps coordinate down. General location with a diagram of the bed location of it is close to shore. Then write down the estimated size of the fish. Go thru your notebook the night before the tournament and start on your biggest fish. Then work your way down in size.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by all4s View Post
    It does take a great memory. But, it is a lot easier than you think. Especially on a body of water that you are familiar with. Here is one shortcut. If your prevailing winds will be from the west. Always mark the boat position downwind of the bed. This will keep you from running over the bed.
    The other thing that I do is take a notebook. Write the gps coordinate down. General location with a diagram of the bed location of it is close to shore. Then write down the estimated size of the fish. Go thru your notebook the night before the tournament and start on your biggest fish. Then work your way down in size.
    Thanks. And I was wondering why HB doesn't have a text box so that when editing the waypoint, you could enter notes. And that tip on marking boat positioning is great. For that particular day anyway.

8. Member
    This is why I always had a graph with a built in GPS. I put the graph right over the bed and mark it. Fish will use the bed year after year. I would also catch the fish to see if it was big enough to catch for a given tournament. If it was a big fish, I would change the icon to a red dot or an anchor. Those were the fish we went after first in the tournament. Any other beds marked with a decent fish would get a blue dot icon. If it was a smaller fish, I just used the standard icon to mark it.

M

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Just go ol school and mark the bed on the bank behind the bed with a small wad of toilet paper...not really littering. It’ll breakdown in a few days.
    If fishing during the spawn that could be A LOT of sh!ts to take all over the lake!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    a guy I know use to put golf balls right inside the bed so he could pick them out way before getting to them before gps...lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I take a picture of the bank and the fish then back off to flipping distance and label a weigh point
    fishbed.jpg
    ljams1924-1024x950.jpg
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

12. Banned
    I mark both the spot and boat position

13. Member
    I read all of these posts. Thanks I like hearing different methods of though. This helps. Wayne P also sent a pm that helped a lot as well.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I read all of these posts. Thanks I like hearing different methods of though. This helps. Wayne P also sent a pm that helped a lot as well.
    Well share it... Dan

15. Member
    Just mark it and put a casting circle on it, that way you won't run over it and you will know the distance to the bed.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Well share it... Dan
    I'd be glad to assuming Wayne P doesn't mind. It helped me a lot. I don't know what protocol is on sharing a pm.

17. Member
    I believe there was an elite event that Terry scroggins marked the bed with something similar to a tomato stake.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I'd be glad to assuming Wayne P doesn't mind. It helped me a lot. I don't know what protocol is on sharing a pm.
    Go ahead, it's no secret.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL