Replacement Carpet for Pro Team 175

I own a 1998 Pro Team 175....I have the boat completely apart to replace the carpet. I have updated the console (new paint) and replaced the switches. I also updated the dashboard with different material. I will post some pics of the dashboard. My question actually pertains to the carpet. I have samples from Bass Cat Boats and Bassboatseats.com.....24oz from Bass Cat and 20oz from Bassboatseats.com. The Bass Cat carpet is about $150 more but, it is 24oz carpet. Has anyone else installed 24oz carpet in their Tracker boat? I guess I am concerned about the lids closing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That’s a great job on the dash Refurb. You are obviously very skilled.
    I have a friend that recently had new carpet installed on a 190 TX and it is nearly impossible to get the lids open. I don’t know the weight of the carpet but just looking at it I would be surprised if it is even 20 OZ.
    I would measure the clearance between the lids and hull and use that as a guide. My bet is that even 20 OZ will be a problem, because many of the aluminum boats (like my Ranger) use 17 OZ.
    According to this website, 24 OZ is 50% thicker than 16OZ and 20% thicker than 20 OZ.
    https://www.boatcarpetbuys.com/produ...ss-boat-carpet
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 04-21-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Added Website URL

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Bill....a sign shop sold me black PVC board. Using the old dashboard for a pattern, and an xacto knife, they cut the pvc and even cut in the gauge openings. Only took them a few minutes. They were going to charge me $15???? I said "what!!"...you can't do that and make any money. They wouldn't accept more than $20. I was taken back by their generosity, not to speak of the "great job" they did cutting out the pieces.

I replaced all my carpet with 20oz.from bassboatseats.com. It was really tight until utube showed me how to trim the edges with a beard trimmer. I left mine tight enough you have to push the lids down. But there not hard to open. It is plush and as nice as my old glass boats.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Member
    Thanks for posting. I have had a couple of other fellows recommend bassboatseats.com.

6. Member
    Keep in mind that the weight of a carpet (16, 20, 24) is not the thickness of the carpet strands but the number of strands per square inch of carpet. 24 oz carpet has 50% more strands per square inch than 16 oz carpet. As you move up to a higher carpet weight your hatches will not be harder to open due to carpet thickness. However they will be harder to open due to the amount of fiber that comes in contact with each other when the hatches are closed.

7. Member
    I ordered 20oz carpet from boatcarpetbuys.com. If you go to bassboatseats.com, boatcarpetbuys.com is one of their companies....Not sure I understand all that but, I got 10% off. This is excellent carpet. Good backing and the carpet doesn't fray on the edges like some of the cheaper carpets do. I got the front deck done today. I also bought Millennium Seats for the decks. Got the one on the front deck installed today.