Batter Charge Meter

Looking for a meter that will tell me what my State if Charge or Charge left, etc is on my batteries. Would like it to let me select between different batteries and work with multiple battery setup, I.E. Single 12v, Dual 12v in series.

Thanks,

Robert

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No such thing. Some claim to, but they aren’t worth it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    At only $17 per battery this one on Amazon is cheap enough to put one on each battery. I've purchased one but have not installed yet so I can't comment on quality. It reports voltage, current, watts, and KWh. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Member
    You need a hydrometer.

5. Member
    So is there a state of charge percentage you can display. Does it also have a temperature sensor? A hydrometer would not work so well on a sealed battery. There are meters that will get you in the ballpark for under $15. Bob
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Having a simple dedicated volt meter such as mounted at the bow and checked several times a day will over a little learning time provide YOURSELF a reasonably respectable idea of YOUR OWN trolling battery's state of charge.

Like all just charged lead acids show a false surface charge voltage, they also show after just being used a false surface discharge voltage .......until time (greatly shortened by some wave action or boat runs) remixes the electrolyte immediately next to the plates.

You have to learn by observing closely when 1st installed when to disregard these false readings and then the voltmeter can predict the approx. state of discharges as can be confirmed that evening by noting how many hours of charging the batteries take to bulk fill charge on a well known charger.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-21-2019 at 06:24 PM.

7. Member
    I am using mine on a lithium but I wonder how false the static reading on an AGM would be? Bob

8. Member
    Lou. I would like to confirm the accuracy of my meter. How do you know how long it takes to charge your batteries to 100% or are you talking only the first stage of the charge before absorption? Either way one would have to monitor the process I would assume. What factors do you use for charge efficiency? Of course the temperature would also come into play. Bob

9. Member
    Was referring the bulk fill stage 1 which its conclusion is shown by lights on most chargers. During this constant-current charge, a lead acid battery charges to about 70 percent. Temp comps do not come into play during this stage as the charger gives it all the amps is has and it peak output voltage is not considered(temp comped) until later stages.

Observing a healthy 100AHR battery for example taking a known 10 amp bulk charge of 7 hours before entering next stage we can ascertain must have earlier been in the neighborhood of 30% SOC....remembering that earlier end of day on the water voltage is useful for future days.

That voltage (at end of day noted voltage allows virgin lead AGMS such as the Odysseys to still be at safely a higher State of Charge than their published 20%SOC min levels. , (Min ~50% SOC is my personal preference for obtaining max life from most flooded lead acid. )
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-21-2019 at 06:28 PM.

10. Member
    Still sounds like there are still issues with variables. Unless I plan on publishing a paper on the subject I will be content to be within a 10 to 15% range taking a static reading back at the dock or garage for the non-starter batteries. For lead acid batteries you would have to discount those charging amps by 20 % for efficiency. I can't even find the duration of the bulk charge of my 15 amp charger anyway. As long a can program in the DOD numbers for the kind of battery I am charging I will be close enough for my purposes. I can with my meter. Bob

11. Member
    Yep that seems appropriate.

In one charger I used for years ago at my fish camp motels, the darn thing changed its loud humming as it switched from stage 1 to 2. I learned pretty soon having delayed sleepless nights how far I had pushed the batteries earlier that day.

Charging inefficiencies (there are a couple kinds)you suggested may not be that close to the 20% number when considered during just the bulk stage.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-21-2019 at 07:41 PM.

12. Member
    Well, I bought this one. Provides state of charge for both Trolling and Starting batteries. Will see how it does

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Dual-Pr...D_BwE&click=19

DUABFGWOM1524V-12V-2.jpg

13. Member
    Sounds like it will do the job. Bob

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    No such thing. Some claim to, but they aren’t worth it.
    +1
    D-Dubya

2003 Skeeter ZX225
    Yamaha VZ225HPDI
    Humminbird 898c SI
    Hummingbird 858c DI

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Well, I bought this one. Provides state of charge for both Trolling and Starting batteries. Will see how it does

DUABFGWOM1524V-12V-2.jpg
    Nice,,I did not think you were going for a scientific LAB accurate type of device. Just ball park idea, is what I gathered from your post!

I was looking at this one, I was gonna share this one with you but noticed you already figured it out.
    http://www.promariner.com/en/51060

I will check out the one you posted also.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post

DUABFGWOM1524V-12V-2.jpg
    I was supposed to buy this gauge a few weeks ago but keep forgetting....will be getting it soon....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

17. Member
    This gauge from Balmar SG200 has recently came out on the market. Very accurate and also includes the ability for SOH which is an important factor in battery monitoring. Also the only one on the market that will work accurately with LiFePO4 batteries.

https://shop.pkys.com/Balmar-SG200-b...UaAvw3EALw_wcB

18. Member
    I got the same one, works well plus there is an app for your phone and it will connect by bluetooth and tell you your charge or your batteries if your in range.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    HB Solix
    HB M360
    Garmin LiveView
    MinnKota Ultrex