Thread: Gorilla Hull?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gorilla Hull?

Discovered damage, a crack/hole, in the hull of my boat. After getting rid of that sick to my stomach feeling, I need to consider my options. I’ll check with our insurance to see what, if anything, they will do. Since we fish lakes with stumps, I’m considering the gorilla hull Toledo Fiberglass installs. What advice/opinions can you offer?

And by the way, Happy Easter!!! Jesus died, was buried and rose again so that we can be forgiven and live forever with Him. A damaged boat will not rob me of my joy!

2. Member
    Tell insurance you want to get the hole/crack fixed, get an estimate for Toledo Fiberglass for the repair. I may cover the cost for Gorilla hull if not pay the difference.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Gorilla Hull is some tough stuff. Just know if speed is important to you I would do your homework. A guy on the BassCat page below posted a few months back that he lost 5-7mph when he had a Gorilla Hull installed (Page 5 on the Bass Cat page).
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 04-20-2019 at 07:47 PM.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    I’ve heard of guys gaining and losing speed. If you do a gorilla Hull which sounds awesome just give yourself time for them to tune the hull
    Nitro z21

It adds weight and drag... You will loose performance.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Thanks for the input. Even if insurance helps, not sure how long I’ll be out of commission. I could just have it repaired and all the other scrapes. Not sure what’s best which is why I’m reaching out to the wisdom of the BBC family.

7. Banned
    They are tough, worth it in a stump filled area.

I had one installed on my Bullet boat many years ago. They start smoothing out the texture at the rear of the boat to make sure it runs out right. It's a really good bottom that you won't have to worry about anymore and that's worth more than loosing a couple mph. If by chance you do have a problem with knocking a hole in it and it's not real likely that you will it's covered with a lifetime warranty and it carries over to the new owner which is a good selling point later if you decide to sell it. I would talk to Al at Toledo Fiberglass to verify the warranty to be sure it's not changed by now.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

9. Member
    Call toledo fiberglass. Theyve done this many times and will be able to answer your questions and work with your insurance. If I do something like that to mine it will get the gorilla hull installed. Also, the guys at toledo fiberglass are first class guys and great to work with

10. Member
    I had a toledo fiberglass put a gorrilla hull on my Legend. Very pleased with it. Only lost 1 mph on the top end. Now I just need to find someone that offers a lifetime warranty on torquemaster lower units and I'll be bullet proof.

11. Member
    Thanks for the input! I’ll call Toledo Fiberglass tomorrow and will post how this works out. Hopefully it won’t take too long.

12. Member
    I have had gorilla hull applied to my boat. The weight add is minimal. On my Gambler it improved the hulls performance as far as handling. It is very tough and in my opinion very well worth the money. Al and his crew at Toledo fiberglass are great people and go above and beyond in my opinion.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

13. Member
    Call Al with your questions and I assure you he's been asked it all! I have Gorilla hulls on my Ranger and Aries, both of which had no diverse effect on performance. Al is not only the best at fiberglass workings, but he's a great guy and awesome Christian man..

i have had it on two boats and there is 5 or 6 in our club with gorilla hulls. I guess we are pretty rough on our boats. There should be minimal decrease in speed or performance. The first time you get hung up on a stump or run over a piece of pipe sticking out of a stump, you will be glad you have it. Al and Trey will treat you right.

What would it do if you hit rebar somebody drove into a stump? We got some real geniuses around here

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

16. Member
    In 2007 I hit two sticks of rebar driven into a stump which left two gouges/cracks in the hull. Some real smart folks live around here too. My insurance covered the cost of repairing (less my deductible) the hull which was similar to the gorilla hull by Toledo fiberglass, but from another shop. My TR20 lost maybe 1.5 MPH at most.

Think it comes with a guarantee too. Everyone who i know that has one has been happy with it. I know they work with you after to get certain aspects back to normal.
    Last edited by BMCD; 04-25-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    What would it do if you hit rebar somebody drove into a stump? We got some real geniuses around here
    Lifetime warranty no matter what damages it. I dont think that the rebar would puncture it. One guy in our club got in a bind fishing a wier that that had boulders on it in some current. Couldn't get turned around and actually went over the wier with a drop of several feet with rocks. Put some scratches on it. Took it too them, they fixed it very quickly and no charge.

19. Member
    I have the Gator hull on mine from Lake Fork Glass. It's the same product as gorilla hull. I had gouges from what looked like either rebar or an underwater fence post. The closest fiberglass repair place for me is Texas Boat World. My insurance wanted a quote and TBW gave me a quote of 6500 for the repair. LFG charged 3000 for the gator hull. I have not lost any performance out of my boat and I have been very pleased with it.

20. Member
    Just got my Skeeter back from Toledo Fiberglass. Had gorilla hull applied. Awesome guys to work with. The Hull looks and performs great. No loss of performance and added piece of mind. HIGHLY recommend !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast