Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix 10 problems 3 times to factory still messed up

I have had my helix 10 gen 2 into the factory 3 times, I am still having problems. I have not been able to get any sonar since January, no 2d, no si, no di...have had factory rep in boat and acknowledged the problem. I just got it back last Thursday, I am getting sonar reading finally, but am losing the left side of my side imaging. If I restart it will come back and then go away, but will not stay on. I have replaced the transducer that Humminbird sent, I also out in a new power cable and wye cable...all through my dealer install. This is driving me crazy! I just want a unit that works! I will be calling them again Monday and unless they gave a fix it is going in for the fourth time. Very frustated. See attached video...any ideas?

Last edited by twa; 04-20-2019 at 06:27 PM.

2. Member
    Did hbird test the transducer too?

3. Member
    Does it do that on a fully charged battery?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Does it do that on a fully charged battery?
    According to my chart, that is near 20% state of charge.........not good at all.......

5. Member
    I took the first video late in the day during tourney last Saturday, 4 graphs, livewells etc....
    It is not a voltage problem, but I did figure out the root of the problem last night after several hours of trouble shooting. It is a 2D / linking problem...
    See new video

Last edited by twa; 04-23-2019 at 01:43 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    Did hbird test the transducer too?
    They sent a new transducer the first time I sent it in, I had my dealer install new transducer and new power cable and new wye cable.

7. Member
    11.4 volts is a power problem. Nothing will work as good as it does over 12 volts. If you rely on alternator power which is not as good as battery power for electronics, you may still have issues. Try doing any testing with well charged batteries. With 4 units on you may need a larger capacity battery or another battery in addition. From what I saw it the left SI was weak not gone. Bob

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    11.4 volts is a power problem. Nothing will work as good as it does over 12 volts. If you rely on alternator power which is not as good as battery power for electronics, you may still have issues. Try doing any testing with well charged batteries. With 4 units on you may need a larger capacity battery or another battery in addition. From what I saw it the left SI was weak not gone. Bob
    I doubt this as HB gives specs from what, 10.8 to 20v? IMO if you're within those ranges it should be ZERO issues

9. Member
    As mentioned in my video, if I left the 2d from the other unit on, it does eventually go away, just as in the first video. Voltage was fine on testing last night.

10. Member
    It was showing over 13 volts from the alternator. I cant tell what your battery is at. That low a state of discharge(at 11.5 volts) is bad for the longevity of your battery anyway. Good luck with your problem. Bob

I wish my side imaging images were that good. Mine used to look like that, in that color palette when I first got it, but then I had my left side imaging go out, got a new transducer and updated software and it has never been the same.

Jim Ebarb
    Many, LA (Toledo Bend Lake)
    2004 BassCat Cougar/ 225 Optimax

Humminbird Helix 12 Mega SI on Ram Mount and Lowrance HDS 8 in dash at console
    Humminbird Helix 12 Mega DI on Balzout mount and Lowrance HDS 7 at the bow

I wish my side imaging images were that good.
    Yea, Tom... They do look good. What are your SI settings, if you don't mind... Color, Sensitivity, etc...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Yea, Tom... They do look good. What are your SI settings, if you don't mind... Color, Sensitivity, etc...
    I will have to double check, but its either palette 2 or 3, the sensitivity is usually set at around 13 to 14 and contrast around 12 to 13.

The beautiful thing is I have imaging finally, I have had NO si, di or 2d for the past 4 months.
    Last edited by twa; 04-24-2019 at 03:14 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toledobasser View Post
    I wish my side imaging images were that good. Mine used to look like that, in that color palette when I first got it, but then I had my left side imaging go out, got a new transducer and updated software and it has never been the same.
    That sucks You might play around with settings if you are linking to other units...as you can see it has made all the difference in the world for me for what ever reason.
    Last edited by twa; 04-24-2019 at 03:43 PM.

15. Member
    Another video, as you can see when it screws up, I can shut down and restart and it will be good for a while then go away

16. Member
    If you are having Zero problems at 10.8 I guess you are correct.

17. Member
    twa, does the screen go to the chart whenever that happens? That would mean there was no transducer detected for a short time. Like a connection to the transducer is intermittent. Maybe mention that the next time you talk with HB. That left side SI got weak at that time also. Again that could mean a poor and intermittent connection. Like possibly the plug on the unit for the transducer. Bob

18. Member
    twa, does the screen go to the chart whenever that happens? That would mean there was no transducer detected for a short time. Like a connection to the transducer is intermittent. Maybe mention that the next time you talk with HB. That left side SI got weak at that time also. Again that could mean a poor and intermittent connection. Like possibly the plug on the unit for the transducer. Bob
    when I have the 2d transducer on the 1199 and it screws up, I can restart and it will run ok for a while then yes it will go to map, then I go back to side imaging and left side is bad. I can repeat the process over and over. If I leave the 2d on the helix 10 andnot try to run from other unit then imaging will stay terrific, but the 2d is crap. Thanks for the reply Bob
    Last edited by twa; 04-24-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twa View Post
    when I have the 2d transducer on the 1199 and it screws up, I can restart and it will run ok for a while then yes it will go to map, then I go back to side imaging and left side is bad. I can repeat the process over and over. If I leave the 2d on the helix 10 andnot try to run from other unit then imaging will stay terrific, but the 2d is crap. Thanks for the reply Bob
    Is it only when you are sharing the 2D transducer when you have a problem? .... I didn't re-read the whole thread.

I've been seeing a few instances where people who have had Humminbird for a while still have the old Ethernet switch. It used to be a pretty common issue. We don't see it much any more but still worth the question.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

20. Member
    Another example

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast