Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stress cracks on Tin. Common or not?

I have a week off of work starting Monday for what is probably the best fishing week of the year. I was set to go last Thursday for a great weather day on the lake. Wednesday evening on a short trip with a friend I encountered water that the bilge couldn’t even keep up with. Pulled it out and there’s a 4 inch gash on a welding seam. I didn’t hit anything.
    I KNEW I should’ve sold this boat last year. It’s 12 years old. How common is this? It really did come at the worst time!!
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

2. Member
    I'm very sorry to hear that man. In my experience, it's rare. Is there any chance your warranty will take care of it? Otherwise, if it's along a weld it should be easy and cheap to get fixed. Good luck.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    One reason I sold my 2004 Triton V176Mag five years ago was because I couldn't keep up with the cracks that were developing including one along the keel weld, Darn near sunk it one summer on the 1000 Islands. Hopefully you can get it welded and it doesn't happen somewhere else and you can get some more years out of the boat.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    One reason I sold my 2004 Triton V176Mag five years ago was because I couldn't keep up with the cracks that were developing including one along the keel weld, Darn near sunk it one summer on the 1000 Islands. Hopefully you can get it welded and it doesn't happen somewhere else and you can get some more years out of the boat.
    Thanks for the info. If it weren’t for the intermittent engine problem I would’ve sold it already. Don’t want to sell a problem. I’m disappointed to hear you had that many problems with this boat because I believe it’s one of the best laid out aluminum designs.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Since I was not the original owner of my Triton and I bought it after it had been repaired following a traffic accident, I’ve always hesitated to use it as an example of that model’s durability. It was a wonderfully laid out boat but eventually I could not keep up with the leaks and I sold it for next to nothing after moving the motor over to a new RT188. Can you hear your hull flex or “oil can” when hitting a big wake or wave? I certainly could.
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Since I was not the original owner of my Triton and I bought it after it had been repaired following a traffic accident, I’ve always hesitated to use it as an example of that model’s durability. It was a wonderfully laid out boat but eventually I could not keep up with the leaks and I sold it for next to nothing after moving the motor over to a new RT188. Can you hear your hull flex or “oil can” when hitting a big wake or wave? I certainly could.
    no flex at all. Been solid as a rock. Until now.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

It’s good that you don’t hear any flexing. I think my hull had some ribs that had detached leading to my problems with cracking. Yours might hold up quite well after a repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Pulled it out and there’s a 4 inch gash on a welding seam. I didn’t hit anything.
    How common is this?
    I have a 2002 176 Magnum and it's never leaked a drop. I blew the motor up last spring and the boat needs carpet and seats as well. I was looking at dumping a lot of money in it when I ran up on a deal on an Xpress. But, I love that hull design and layout so much it is parked in the back yard and I'm going to restore it and repower it someday. If I were you I would fix it and see what happens. I believe they are as good as any tin boat, and that hull design is just plain fast when set up and dialed in. Mine ran 55MPH (GPS) with a 115 and 6 inch jackplate.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

9. Member
    On the trailer while being towed or when on the water being used...boats flex.
    Welded aluminum doesn't flex well.

10. Member
    For this reason I think Lund got it right going with a riveted hull on their Renegade series. I’ll take riveted all day long over an all welded hull.

11. Member
    For what's it worth, my old 2005 Lowe FM165 didn't have any hull cracks. No sign of any such activity. Felt like pretty thick aluminum.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    For this reason I think Lund got it right going with a riveted hull on their Renegade series. I’ll take riveted all day long over an all welded hull.
    +1

My riveted Alumacrafts never had leaking, or cracking problems. If my memory serves me right, the older Rangers were built by Crestliner in Minnesota. Also Triton moved their aluminum boats up to Minnesota too after so many failures.

13. Member
    Think about it, these new aluminum boats a almost as large as the fiberglass boats. That extra length and width alone adds stress, then factor in larger HP outboards, faster speeds, going on lakes with chop and you get numerous boats with stress cracks.

I think there is a reason all the big water deep V boats are riveted, because a rivited boat can allow a small amount of flex that a weld cannot.

14. Member
    My 19 yr old ProTeam 165 has experienced some rough situations and my riveted hull has stayed intact just fine.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

15. Member
    Back in the 80's I had a riveted Lund and Fisher Marine. They both leaked enough that I'd run and pull the plug to drain the water. For you young guys most of the boats back then had plugs that were installed from the inside and you just reach down while running and pull the plug (easy with a tiller steer) and the water gets sucked out. Of course you put the plug back in before you stop LOL.

I've not seen a huge issue with welds cracking. There isn't a perfect boat. Glass gets blisters and aluminum boats develop leaks. Major cracks are why there are warranties. I hope the OP gets his fixed right and it's done quickly.

Boats in general keep getting bigger and heavier. When I started bass fishing most guys pulled their boats with cars or a station wagon. I personally think the boats are built better today.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    +1

My riveted Alumacrafts never had leaking, or cracking problems. If my memory serves me right, the older Rangers were built by Crestliner in Minnesota. Also Triton moved their aluminum boats up to Minnesota too after so many failures.
    Triton was moved to Minnesota because of bean counters not warranty issues. Crestliner did not even know how to build a mod v at that time, they were building all deep v's.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinTN View Post
    I have a 2002 176 Magnum and it's never leaked a drop. I blew the motor up last spring and the boat needs carpet and seats as well. I was looking at dumping a lot of money in it when I ran up on a deal on an Xpress. But, I love that hull design and layout so much it is parked in the back yard and I'm going to restore it and repower it someday. If I were you I would fix it and see what happens. I believe they are as good as any tin boat, and that hull design is just plain fast when set up and dialed in. Mine ran 55MPH (GPS) with a 115 and 6 inch jackplate.
    Replacing the carpeting on a 176 is straightforward, I did mine several years before I sold it.

18. Banned
    The Triton 176 & 186 Magnums have a great layout of sure! Very roomy!

19. Member
    I have a 2006 v186 magnum. Bought it in 2010. Fished it north in Canada and as far south as Alabama. Never had a problem with any welds and no leaks. Great boat with a good ride and layout. Problems happen with all brands. Hope you get yours fixed and back on the water soon

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Think about it, these new aluminum boats a almost as large as the fiberglass boats. That extra length and width alone adds stress, then factor in larger HP outboards, faster speeds, going on lakes with chop and you get numerous boats with stress cracks.

I think there is a reason all the big water deep V boats are riveted, because a rivited boat can allow a small amount of flex that a weld cannot.
    That really isn't true. Far, far more big water aluminum hulls are welded, with the cookie cutter freshwater manufacturers being the only exceptions. Google CustomWeld, Weldcraft, Hewes Craft, Northriver, Raider, Northwest Jet, Snake River Marine, on and on. 18'-35' offshore, jet, outboard hulls running up to triples with 900hp....all are 100% welded Aluminum hulls. Rivets are archaic technology and a cheap way to get the desired results, which is fine and works pretty good for a light duty freshwater fishing boat, but in no way as good as a quality all welded Aluminum hull. Just ask any ocean or big river fisherman in the Northwest, Canada and Alaska
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast