Thread: Ok, New GLX?

Ok, New GLX?

Wanting to get a GLX I currently have a NRX 853c, an 872s, and thanks to recommendations here I received a 894c Thursday. Now I would like to try a GLX. All my other rods besides a Shimano Expride and Shimano Curado are Falcon Caras. I was thinking of getting a Cara 6'10" H Head Turner this week but am kind of on a Loomis kick. I've got enough rods to cover all my needs but was wondering if I wanted to buy a new GLX what model would be the absolute have to have in your arsenal? Thanks. I have a Bantam MGL and Metanium MGL both XG 8.5:1 coming in from Japan this week, one will go on the 894 the other needs a rod.

2. Member
    I know I'm being very general here by not listing intend use but really just looking for a GLX more than likely will see 3/8-1/4 T-Rigs and 3/8-5/8 jigs with maybe a 1/4oz swimbait head or 1/2 spinnerbaits. I've never been a technique specific rod kind of guy I just use what fits so looking for suggestions on the "do it all" (no such thing) GLX that you just have to have in your rod box.

GLX 842 is my favorite Gloomis blank.

I have the NRX and Conquest version.

Love it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    GLX 842 is my favorite Gloomis blank.

I have the NRX and Conquest version.

Love it.
    MBR?

Yes.

6. Member
    MBR 844 would be perfect for those uses. With that said, that Cara Head Turner is my favorite and most used rod... it’s a bad dude.

7. Member
    Not exactly in your wheel house but the 893 is a awesome rod
    Nitro z21

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VaZ518 View Post
    MBR 844 would be perfect for those uses. With that said, that Cara Head Turner is my favorite and most used rod... it’s a bad dude.
    I may just pick up the Head Turner this week, it's basically the only model I don't have and have been wanting but need to get before they go to China, and wait a little bit for a GLX. Lord knows I don't need another rod at all but I'll keep the 844 in mind.

9. Banned
    Glx 893 is an awesome rod probably the most versatile in the jwr line handles everything from a weightless worm to a 3/4 ounce football jig

10. Member
    Well I just ordered a GLX 844 from Land Big Fish using the EASTER19 20% coupon code but it didn't appear to take. Last week I ordered my NRX 894 using the WFN20 20% code and it took. I emailed them and will see what they say Monday as they're pretty square dealing. If they don't take the code I'm tempted to cancel the order and just pick up the Head Turner locally. I know that sounds cheap but they took the 20% on the NRX so why not the GLX. I'll see what they say Monday.

11. Member
    So I got 20% off last week on the NRX using WFN20, call today asking why no 20% off on a GLX using EASTER19. Their response was due to MAP pricing we don't discount items such as Shimano and G Loomis, my response was "So I guess I just got lucky on the NRX huh?" Her response was "I guess so". Tempted to cancel it and get the $225 Falcon, with 20% I would've saved $91 but I think I'll just keep the order and take the GLX 844mbr.

12. Member
    Falcon is also on map
    Nitro z21

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Falcon is also on map
    Yea but I can get a Head Turner with micro guides locally for $224.99 regular price. The GLX is $445 with 20% off it would be $364.

14. Member
    I had a Head Turner for several years and decided to replace it with an older GLX MBR 844C that I bought from a fellow BBC member earlier this year. I've only had the GLX out once so far, fishing 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs. It's still probably too early to say, but at this point I think I still like the Head Turner better. There was just something special about that rod, especially for pitching t-rigs. Maybe my opinion will change with time. I don't think you can go wrong with either rod though.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I had a Head Turner for several years and decided to replace it with an older GLX MBR 844C that I bought from a fellow BBC member earlier this year. I've only had the GLX out once so far, fishing 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs. It's still probably too early to say, but at this point I think I still like the Head Turner better. There was just something special about that rod, especially for pitching t-rigs. Maybe my opinion will change with time. I don't think you can go wrong with either rod though.
    Well the GLX is in the mail and I went and bought the last Head Turner today from the tackle store next to the factory where they make the Cara.

16. Member
    Nice! I'm sure you'll love both rods. You'll have to do a follow-up thread a few weeks or months (depending on how much you fish) down the road comparing the two. I'd be curious to see how you feel about both rods after fishing them for a while.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Nice! I'm sure you'll love both rods. You'll have to do a follow-up thread a few weeks or months (depending on how much you fish) down the road comparing the two. I'd be curious to see how you feel about both rods after fishing them for a while.
    Will do but with my wife's work schedule it may be a little bit before we get to fish, Saturday was our first time this year. I just got another Metanium in and it'll probably go on the NRX, I have a Bantam MGL coming and depending on how I like it I may order another or get another Chronarch MGL. Three new rods and only two reels right now.

18. Member
    Got the GLX 844mbr in today, NRX 894 last week, wife told me to get the Head Turner, another Metanium MGL came last week, my first Bantam MGL will come one day next week, and I'm one reel short. I can pass the Bantam off because she told me to get the Cara but she's going to kill me once she finds out about the two Lommis rods and the reels. She's my fishing partner but has been adamant about no more rods and reels we have enough. I'll see how I like the Bantam and decide on either another, Chronarch MGL, or a fourth Metanium. At least I can say "Hey the reels came from Japan so I got a deal on them".
    Last edited by Cestratton; 04-25-2019 at 07:06 PM.