198p and 1890 review today!

I had a chance to see both of these side by side today. I like some things about the ranger better and some things about the vexus better. Fit and finish and quality in my opinion they are basically equal. Aesthetics of each one is about opinion as I do like some things about one vs the other. But I am just not sure the vexus is worth 5 grand more for the exact same options added vs the ranger. The ranger is still 3 grand cheaper if I upgraded my console electronics to a 12 instead of a 9 and add the passenger console. Both boats are are nice again this is just my opinion on the value aspect of the vexus being 5 grand or 3 grand more depending how I chose to trim out the boat. I have not made up my mind yet which to chose as I have not had a chance to ride or fish out of a vexus as I have done with the ranger.
    Whats is anyones else's opinion and have you had a chance to ride and fish out of both?

2. Member
    I think you should do what you think is best for you. Only you know. There is no doubt that the new Vexus are really nice boats but I think there is alot of puffing and hype just because it's new. I myself would stick with the Ranger. But I'm probably a little prejudice. Good luck with whatever you decide

3. Member
    I'm definitely prejudiced because I am very happy with my 198P.

4. Member
    At this time I am definitely leaning towards the ranger. With a bigger graph and dual console I’m still 3k cheaper on the ranger. Before I decide on a 12 vs 9 ti2 I need to verify the resolution of both graphs. I’ve been told that the resolution is the same. I have not been able to find the resolution of each on Lowrance’s site though.

5. Member
    Bigger is ALWAYS better

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Will yours run decent? Lots of folks claiming the 198p isn’t running up to par.

7. Member
    I was interested in the same two boats as you. After months and months of trying to decide between the two I ended up with the ranger. My local dealer had a leftover 2018 rt198p and made me one hell of a deal.

8. Member
    I am in the same position of ordering a new boat in a month or two. Love the quality of the Vexus, an I know more about the Ranger products. My brother is on his 3rd Fiberglass Ranger and they have all been great. That being said, I have been on the Ranger Facebook page, wow, a lot of issues, and complaining going on with the aluminum series of Rangers. Poor welds, hooks on the hulls, seems everyone gets a different prop from the factory ? Add welds to the hull to act as trim tabs ? Some real tacky issues, of course a lot of blame is on John Morris since he purchased that company ? What ever I do decide on, it will have to include a test ride before I write the check !

9. Member
    I understand taking a ride before you make the final decision for sure. I should probably
    make the dealer take me out in the 198p before I decide on it if I continue to go that direction to just be sure it doesn’t have the issues people are complaining about.

10. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

11. Member
    Vexus advantages.

Live wells are fiberglass
    Rear storage also fiberglass
    All latches are compression & lids with rubber seal
    Overall fit and finish are a tad better Imo

I like the Vexus aluminum line, but ironically their fiberglass line just don't appeal to me, may take some time I guess.
    Last edited by spinningreel; 04-21-2019 at 05:43 PM.

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    X2
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I can’t get my mind around how narrow the Vexus is in the bow. I just don’t want to have the same or less width than my 98 zx185c.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    I can’t get my mind around how narrow the Vexus is in the bow. I just don’t want to have the same or less width than my 98 zx185c.
    I can vouch for the 198 platform fishing 2 guys on the front quite comfortably and another in the back. I've not been in the Vexus so can't really speak for it...

One could probably have an orgy on that front deck, assuming one could find willing participants....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    One could probably have an orgy on that front deck, assuming one could find willing participants....
    1985 Ranger 373V
    2018 Ranger RT198P *SOLD*
    2019 Ranger Z521C