Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St Croix Mojo Jerkbait Rod

Just bought a St Croix Mojo jerkbait 6'8"M Fast rod last week at Cabela's and used it the next day. The thing I don't like about it is when I jerk, the tip vibrates pretty bad. It takes a second to stop before you jerk again, even when jerking on slack line. They also have a Mojo rod they call Topwater which is also 6'8"M Extra Fast tip. Thinking about taking back the jerkbait rod and exchanging it for the topwater extra fast rod to see if it does the same thing or not. Any input would be appreciated. Would it make any difference?

2. Member
    I use a Mojo 7'1" MF (plastics) rod for jerkbaits. Super jerkbait rod IMO. Same blank only longer. I also have a Mojo 6'9" MXF (wacky) spinning rod. Basically the same blank as the Mojo Topwater. I have thrown jerkbaits on it and like the MF blank better. IMO the XF blank is very easy to over work the jerkbait and I like a little more bend in the rod when fighting a fish.
    My MF rod tip does not have the characteristics you describe. However what I like, others may not.

3. Member
    Better hope you never need to get that rod warranted...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Rod warranties do not concern me.

5. Member
    St. Croix has a good warranty program. For every one person bashing it there’s probably 30 others that are praising them. I’ve owned mostly St Croix for over 15yrs and have never had one break, or have any other faults.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    St. Croix has a good warranty program. For every one person bashing it there’s probably 30 others that are praising them. I’ve owned mostly St Croix for over 15yrs and have never had one break, or have any other faults.
    A good warranty program? "lifetime warranty!" "oh, you broke your MOJO bass? Send it back to us, on your dime, and include a check for $50." for a rod that was $130 brand new.

That is NOT a good warranty program. It's cheaper to go buy another one.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Rod warranties do not concern me.
    They only concern me when they aren't what they claim to be.

They have fixed my mojos for free and my retailer sent them for free. Pretty awesome. I use a mojo spinnerbait rod for jerkbaits. Andhave used the jig n worm
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    A good warranty program? "lifetime warranty!" "oh, you broke your MOJO bass? Send it back to us, on your dime, and include a check for $50." for a rod that was $130 brand new.

That is NOT a good warranty program. It's cheaper to go buy another one.
    Where are you finding Mojos for $70? Since that’s how much it would cost In your example ($20 shipping +$50 replacement fee) which is normal rate if the rod was deemed to be user error aka slammed in a car door. I’d say getting a rod at half off because of user fault is a great warranty and customer service. Most times if you speak to them they’ll just charge the shipping rate and fix or replace the rods for free. Treat people respectfully and they’ll take care of you. Like I said for every 1 person who bashed the company, there’s 30 praising it. Sounds like you just have a bias since you didn’t get a free rod one time.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I use a Mojo 7'1" MF (plastics) rod for jerkbaits. Super jerkbait rod IMO. Same blank only longer. I also have a Mojo 6'9" MXF (wacky) spinning rod. Basically the same blank as the Mojo Topwater. I have thrown jerkbaits on it and like the MF blank better. IMO the XF blank is very easy to over work the jerkbait and I like a little more bend in the rod when fighting a fish.
    My MF rod tip does not have the characteristics you describe. However what I like, others may not.

Was just about to say I use this exact same rod. 7'1. Its not your conventional jerkbait rod but man is it a good one. Its the perfect action and its a little longer so I can make longer casts with it compared to 6'10 rods I have. I have caught a lot bass on this rod. Its my favorite rod actually and its the cheapest rod I own. Go figure.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Where are you finding Mojos for $70? Since that’s how much it would cost In your example ($20 shipping +$50 replacement fee) which is normal rate if the rod was deemed to be user error aka slammed in a car door. I’d say getting a rod at half off because of user fault is a great warranty and customer service. Most times if you speak to them they’ll just charge the shipping rate and fix or replace the rods for free. Treat people respectfully and they’ll take care of you. Like I said for every 1 person who bashed the company, there’s 30 praising it. Sounds like you just have a bias since you didn’t get a free rod one time.
    No, I have a bias because what you describe is divergent from reality. Trust me, I went through several levels of "customer service" folks. I even offered to buy a replacement rod from them (so that I could use those packing materials to return the broken one), on my dime, and when they got my rod back, they could refund the cost of the rod I purchased. Nope. Wouldn't do that, either.

If you can buy packing materials AND ship a 7' rod for $20, I'd sure love to know how. Good luck with that.

12. Member
    I agree with the comments about Fast action vs XF for jerks. I used to throw them on 6-8 MXF Avid but didn't like how it handled and the casting distance was not that great. I ended up breaking it lifting a fish into the boat (my fault), I talked to St Croix about what happened and they said to return it and they would replace it at no cost. It was about a year old at the time. While it was laid up, I threw jerks on a 7'MF Avid and liked how much better it would cast and also how it would load up on a hook set. I asked St Croix if I could exchange my broken 6-8 for a 7 MF Avid and they said since there wasn't a price difference that would be no problem. Some people say a 7 footer is too long but I much prefer it for jerkbait.

btw, their warranty program has been great for me.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

13. Member
    No, I have a bias because what you describe is divergent from reality. Trust me, I went through several levels of "customer service" folks. I even offered to buy a replacement rod from them (so that I could use those packing materials to return the broken one), on my dime, and when they got my rod back, they could refund the cost of the rod I purchased. Nope. Wouldn't do that, either.

If you can buy packing materials AND ship a 7' rod for $20, I'd sure love to know how. Good luck with that.
    Since your in Wisconsin Speed Dee delivery will get it there for 6 bucks. I do it all the time. And when I broke them 50 bucks is a bargain. Ones that were their fault no charge and either way never waited more than a week for the replacement. And they do give the benefit of the doubt to the consumer.
    Please release me,let me go.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    Since your in Wisconsin Speed Dee delivery will get it there for 6 bucks. I do it all the time. And when I broke them 50 bucks is a bargain. Ones that were their fault no charge and either way never waited more than a week for the replacement. And they do give the benefit of the doubt to the consumer.
    How is it no charge if it's $50? I do not understand this. Surely I'm missing something? Lol definitely want my fault. Rod broke on hookset on maybe a 3-4# largemouth, 12-18" from the tip.

What did you pack them in?

15. Member
    An old pvc tube. That's what I did and used the shipping label from their site. They have the best customer service. That's one of the reasons I switched all my rods to St. Croix. And as far as the original discussion, I use the mojo topwater for jerkbaits and like it for that application.

How is it no charge if it's $50? I do not understand this. Surely I'm missing something? Lol definitely want my fault. Rod broke on hookset on maybe a 3-4# largemouth, 12-18" from the tip.

What did you pack them in?

Read it again. " ones that were thier fault no charge "
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

To answer the OPs question, I use the Mojo Topwater rod for my jerkbait rod. I like it a lot.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Read it again. " ones that were thier fault no charge "
    There is no "read it again". I spoke to them on the phone. It was $50. Period.

There is no "read it again". I spoke to them on the phone. It was $50. Period.

He didn't pay for one's that were thier fault. According to his post .
    How old was the rod you broke ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    He didn't pay for one's that were thier fault. According to his post .
    How old was the rod you broke ?
    I bought it a few months prior to it breaking. According to the serial number, it had been manufactured the previous fall, still less than 1 year old. There was no "our fault/your fault". They simply said $50. That's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast