Difference in Pro XL and XL

I purchased an 05 285 Pro XL and was wondering if you guys could tell me the difference in an XL and Pro XL. I have read that it comes with live well timers (which mine does not) and hydraulic steering (mine has). What other features are different? Also how hard would it be to put a live well pump out on this boat? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 05stratos; 04-20-2019 at 01:30 PM.

2. Member
    As far as I know, there is no difference except for year model. They were proxl, then became just XL with model year change around 2007.
    Livewell pump out is a Flow-Rite kit you can add. It’s just a new aerator head and a hose and thru Hull fitting. And timers are also just a timer capsule addition and a 3 position switch

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    As far as I know, there is no difference except for year model. They were proxl, then became just XL with model year change around 2007.
    Livewell pump out is a Flow-Rite kit you can add. It’s just a new aerator head and a hose and thru Hull fitting. And timers are also just a timer capsule addition and a 3 position switch
    im guessing the pump out will require a hole to be drilled in the top cap? Or is there a way around that?

4. Member
    The 285 ProXL came in two variants, the standard boat no jackplate, 150 rated, cable steering. The Larry Nixon version, 6” jackplate, 175 rated, hydraulic steering and hotfoot. Same exact hull.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    The 285 ProXL came in two variants, the standard boat no jackplate, 150 rated, cable steering. The Larry Nixon version, 6” jackplate, 175 rated, hydraulic steering and hotfoot. Same exact hull.
    Mine came standard with a hotfoot, hydro steering, no jack plate, and only rated for a 150 but it’s not a Larry Nixon edition. I’m guessing those things changed through the years?

6. Member
    No way to pump out if you don’t drill a hole.
    Its not a big deal to put it in the cap.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stratos View Post
    Mine came standard with a hotfoot, hydro steering, no jack plate, and only rated for a 150 but it’s not a Larry Nixon edition. I’m guessing those things changed through the years?
    Mine did too, except mine had the 6” jackplate, because my dealer had ordered it with the Larry Nixon options. My 2004 285 ProXL is 150 rated on the rating plate. That’s fine, I upgraded my 2004 150 Johnson to a 150 HO G2 last year.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Mine did too, except mine had the 6” jackplate, because my dealer had ordered it with the Larry Nixon options. My 2004 285 ProXL is 150 rated on the rating plate. That’s fine, I upgraded my 2004 150 Johnson to a 150 HO G2 last year.
    How much performance gain did you see when you repowered?

If you don't wanna drill a hole in the boat just leave the hose so you can access it from the rear hatch and leave it long enough to pull out and over the transom area to fill the bag. no hole needed.
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

10. Member
    Or just put a live well plug in the bottom of your boat and bilge it out.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05stratos View Post
    im guessing the pump out will require a hole to be drilled in the top cap? Or is there a way around that?
    I'd try T'ing it into your bilge pumps discharge line. I'd also put a check valve upstream of the T fitting on the bilge line to prevent your pump out from running back to the bilge pump. Just a thought for an option, brainstorming.