Livewell plumbing

I have a plumbing issue. Any tricks I need to know on pulling the fuel tank? Plan on renewing everything while I’m in there. Any suggestions on best hose for replacement?

2. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Empty the fuel tank completely... that's one of the main things I think

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

3. Member
    Order all the stuff you need from Flow-Rite including the tubing and all the snap on fittings. They have a chart that shows what you will need for any particular system.

4. Member
    I’ve tried pulling my fuel tank before. It was impossible for me.

5. Member
    I wondered what kinda job it was myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Member
    You may need to pull a vacuum on the tank to suck it smaller. There have been a few on here that have pulled their tanks, seems the older the rig the harder to get the tank out. As I recall the back of the tank has to be lifted and sort of rotated up while pulling the tank. Make sure every thing is out of the way. It is a very tight fit.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input folks. I’ll let you know how it goes. Got 2 weeks between tourneys, so I have time for a little patience with the tank. Good tip on pulling a vacuum on it.

Pulled mine last year to replace the valves and hoses.

1. Empty it as much as possible.
    2. Get a large ratcheting strap around it, as it's difficult to grab a hold of.
    3. I removed the 2 back lids for slightly better access, could be done without but you have to lay on your stomach to gain access to some of the hose to remove. I remember you being a big boy when I met you at Stroker that day so it will help.
    4. There is some screws that go through the ribs on each side that let the retainers on each side come out.
    5. Tank has to be slid back a little bit then the rear rotated up, this is where the strap helps.
    6. Be extremely careful of the vent tube as it will hit underneath and will require a little prying to get it to clear. There is no extra gas tanks available right now. The company that made them for Chub has "lost" the mold currently.
    7. Once you get it rotated, a little brute force to pull it straight up. Yours is newer than mine so it may not have expanded as bad and might be easier.
    8. If you have the T and H valves. They are no longer made. I did get lucky and find someone that still had a few.
    9. I did go ahead and replaced my gas fill hose as I found it had rubbed a spot on it from the edge of the deck

Good luck and if have any questions shoot me a PM with your number.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

9. Member
    Thanks Jason. That helps a lot.

10. Member
    Definitely remove the rear lids to give yourself a better work area. If you drink go ahead and pour 2.

Jim, I forgot to add, I bought a 50 foot roll of livewell hose and have plenty of it left. I don't remember exactly how much is left but should be enough to do one. If your interested I can sell you the rest of it. It's the black vinyl reinforced hose similar to what was in mine originally.

If you end up having the T and H Valves I know someone that might still have one. If you need the Flowrite I also have 2 of them brand new, that i was going to use but didnt want to have to cut out for the new levers so i got lucky and found someone that still had some of the older T and H valves.

I got to do the same thing to mine. One of my valves broke and want to replace all the hoses. Good info.

Jeff

13. Member
    Thanks again for all the help. Made the job a lot easier than trial by fire. I should be good for another 10 years. The main drain line had a swell with a small split at the connector. All else was in good shape, but replaced anyway.

14. Member
    Lot of patience , lot of bourbon ( beer won't work), lot of muscles . And two sets of friends. You'll use up the first set getting it out so you'll need the second set to get it back in.
    Last edited by MARK R; 05-05-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

I pulled my tank when I rewired my boat. Only thing that worked for me is basically grabbing it and had to muscle it out. I of course pumped as much fuel out of it before I muscled the tank out lol.
    2009 Stroker (Frankenstein)

16. Member
    The T&H valves, are they 3/4” hoses? My local West Marine has about 6 in stock. I plan to change mine out if that’s the ones.
    2008 Triton 20X2 2008 Mercury Pro 250XS

Yes 3/4.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melton Jason View Post
    Yes 3/4.
    Thanks!
    2008 Triton 20X2 2008 Mercury Pro 250XS