Thread: Rim canal

Rim canal

First time to Okeechobee, we are planning on renting a boat out of Roland Martins Marine and we were told that the lake is low so no main lake fishing. My question is, is it worth renting a boat to fish the canal? I know the canal is miles and miles, but is the bass fishing any good? Thanks for any feed back

2. Member
    Yes its worth it. Take a right out of the lock and flip every lily pad cluster you see and throw a squarebill inbetween them. You'll catch some good fish and also see 700 gators

1st and 2nd place came from the ditch in our last tourney. including a 9 +. on crankbait.

4. Member
    Unfortunately that’s good info

5. Member
    Be aware. I was not happy when I rented boat from them. The boats are great and worked perfectly. The problem I had is they will not let you take the boat until THEY are ready. They say safe light but every morning for the 4 days I was down there, I would have left a minimum of 45 minutes earlier every day. Just be aware of that. Also be aware the same rule applies to when the boat is due back. They will tell you a time. I don’t remember. But it’s in my opinion an 1-1/2 hour to early!! I guess I’m used to having my own boat, or the times we rented boats at lake fork where if you rent the boat for 4 days, it’s your for 4 days. You do what you want with it. Not waiting in the morning for someone to show up at marina and then not missing that late evening bite. just my opinion. Good luck.

The cuts on the lakeside of the rim ditch are also good target areas.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Who said you can't fish the lake

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickking2785 View Post
    Be aware. I was not happy when I rented boat from them. The boats are great and worked perfectly. The problem I had is they will not let you take the boat until THEY are ready. They say safe light but every morning for the 4 days I was down there, I would have left a minimum of 45 minutes earlier every day. Just be aware of that. Also be aware the same rule applies to when the boat is due back. They will tell you a time. I don’t remember. But it’s in my opinion an 1-1/2 hour to early!! I guess I’m used to having my own boat, or the times we rented boats at lake fork where if you rent the boat for 4 days, it’s your for 4 days. You do what you want with it. Not waiting in the morning for someone to show up at marina and then not missing that late evening bite. just my opinion. Good luck.
    They have alot of problems with the boats getting damaged since most people have no idea how to run on the lake. Not excusing them not having it ready for you but Jolly Roger also has some boat rentals. Tough place to rent boats lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Who said you can't fish the lake
    Oh ita definately fishable theres been alot of nice fish weighed in the last few weeks. Just better know what you're doing with the wind its sucking 8+ inches out. The entire basin area of Roland's turned dry yesterday in that strong south wind

10. Member
    What?!?!???

11. Member
    Well, it’ll fill back in with the wind howling out of the ENE FOR 3+ days

Quote Originally Posted by AnglinAbrams View Post
    What?!?!???
    The wind as a big affect on local areas. When its blowing its not unheard of that water levels rise or fall significantly.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

13. Member
    Running up to J&S. ��

14. Member
    Thanks for the info

15. Member
    the basin at Rolands went dry?

16. Member
    Yeah when that big front went through. You could see all the clams bubbling in the mud was pretty crazy