Rigging a 4" Flippin' Tube, Texas rig.

I want to try using a 4" Flippin' Tube on a Texas Rig. I have a Daiwa Baitcaster and a 7' medium action rod. Not really looking to punch thru weeds and etc. I have 50 Lb Power Pro Braid. Is it necessary to use a Fluoro leader or not?

2. Member
    NH, most base the decision on whether or not to use a leader, on water clarity. I would say 2 feet or more visibility, use a leader, anything less, no leader. Also, remember with braid and flipping, there is absolutely no stretch and you are only a few feet away from the fish, so ease up on your normal hookset or you might tear the fish's mouth or break your line at the leader knot.

3. Member
    Your fine without unless you feel clear after is a issue with a M power rod I wouldn’t worry. However 50# is very heavy for a M power rod. Most would consider 50# for frogs as a starting point 20-30 is more realistic for your use and drops the visibility factor
    Nitro z21

4. Member
    Check out Bill Lowen tips on flippin a tube ---good stuff
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Scraps
    I would say the water that would require a leader would be too clear for flipping and you'd be better casting that tube. If dirty water just go direct. I used to flip a tube A LOT on tidal water in the 90s after, who was it, Garrett and Brauer uncovered this secret. 20lb mono and an EWG with 3/16 oz weight. Not 1/4, not 5/16. 3/16 which was the max weight that would not affect the gliding action of the tube. I started using the Gambler weights that had rattles in them cuzz I can't seem to flip anything that doesn't have rattles around here in the coffee colored water.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Consider the “Stupid Tube” rigging

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I personally wouldn't worry about a leader if using dark green line & flipping them or using them at night. Most times i just throw them on 20Lb. mono. I always use a magnum flipping tube if fishing tubes at night to catch smallmouth.

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I would say the water that would require a leader would be too clear for flipping and you'd be better casting that tube. If dirty water just go direct.
    THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    I've been fishing a Texas rigged tube for decades and I can say that a medium power rod, from any manufacturer is going to be underpowered. You're much better off using a medium heavy rod.

Previous posts in this thread have addressed the line/leader question.

10. Member
    I guess I mislead everyone. I will be casting the "Flippin' Tubes (Anywheres from 3.5" - 4.5" long) and using them same as a Texas rigged senko etc. I cannot Flip or pitch anyways as that's something I need to practice on more. Even skipping Jigs, I need to work on that as well. So, with that being said, would you recommend a Baitcasteing set up or a spinning rod set up? I like the Yellow or bright green Power Pro braids. Could I use like 30 Lb braid with a 15 Lb fluoro leader?

You can throw it on whatever you feel comfortable with. The really important thing to remember is you need to cross their eyes when you set the hook with a Texas rigged tube to make sure you get the hook home; they have a tendency to ball up at times and result in missed fish, especially if you don't hit them like you mean it. For most, that makes a casting setup a more attractive option but that doesn't mean you couldn't set up a medium heavy spinning rod and do just fine with that as well.

30 lb braid to a 15 lb leader would be just fine. Check knots regularly, of course, as those violent hooksets will test them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    Bill Lowens video he did on Tube for B.A.S.S. explains the proper hook to use flipiing a tube so they wont ball up and lose fish. Check it out its very good stuff.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

I suggest the Eagle Claw HP Shaw Grigsby tube hook. 4/0

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-C View Post
    The Shaw Grigsby hp is an outstanding tube hook.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-C View Post

Great hook. Sometimes I think the wire keeper might be cutting the knot off on hookset. Ever had that experience?